Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marine Vs. Automotive ???

NOTALENT
    I know that the gaskets are different, oil pans are different..as well as the tall valve covers...are there any other differences I am missing???

jackpunx
    Yep... One goes in a boat.. the other in a car..lol
    Happy holiday's

Jordy
    I know that the gaskets are different, oil pans are different..as well as the tall valve covers...are there any other differences I am missing???
    Fuel system and electrical have to be different if you're running an engine hatch and like your boat the color it is and not blackened and burned to the waterline.

victorfb
    if your asking if the internals are differant, id say in most cases yes. you have to be more descriptive on the boat its going in aswell. cam selection, bearing clearances, compression ratios, head types, all play a big part in the way the motor will perform and for what purpose. can you take a motor from an automobile and use it in a boat? sure, but like you have allready mentioned, there are some external changes that should be made before so. the larger oil pan is one of the most common and easily noticed. since boat motors have a life of constant higher RPM they need more oil to help lubricate and control heat. taller valve covers are normally used to keep clearances for the use of roller rockers and stud girdles, though in many cases the taller shiny valve covers on a boat are for show. gaskets, freeze plugs, and some bolt on devices should be of marine quality. if the motor well is to be covered then marine (coast guard approved) electrical devices should/need to be used. in an automtive application the engine is normally used in the 1900 - 2800 RPM range, in a boat it is much higher and for useually long intervals. if you plan to use an engine from an auto, id suggest asking alot more questions on your perticular application and im sure you will get many responces from good quality engine builders that frequant the boards.

Craig
    Some of this is a rehash of the above posts, but I think;
    brass freeze plugs,
    typically larger clearances on piston to cylinder wall,
    better valves,
    marine spec camshaft to prevent water reversion,
    marine carb with sealed throttle shafts & j-tubes,
    different head gaskets
    electrical changes to distributor and altenator to prevent sparking an explosion,
    I'm sure there's other stuff

NOTALENT
    not looking for anything special..I was looking at the prices from speedomotive and other companys..and noticed there prices normally double for a marine engine. I new the basics..but was wondering why there so much more...than the automotive engines...My brother is bringing my motor down from havasu this weekend...So Squeezing Spectra I plan on giving u a call. Sorry I havent yet..I am waiting on money...Taxes should be here soon.

Havasu Hangin'
    In my opinion, the automotive engine market is more competitive, and the marine engine market is more specialty. Also, since they are always under load, marine engines have to be more durable- that's why the prices are what they are.
    Having said that, quite a few people have bought performance crate engines and marinized them for a few hundred dollars.

NOTALENT
    In my opinion, the automotive engine market is more competitive, and the marine engine market is more specialty. Also, since they are always under load, marine engines have to be more durable- that's why the prices are what they are.
    Having said that, quite a few people have bought performance crate engines and marinized them for a few hundred dollars.
    thats what I was looking in two..I saw a few on ebay..built by a few shops in pheonix. going for $3500.00 for a 454 or 496 with between 450-550 hp..I figured If I changed the pan, valve covers, head gaskets and for a few more bucks they would actually build with a marine gasket set and drop in a marine cam...So i thought i would check into it. :hammerhea

Havasu Hangin'
    thats what I was looking in two..I saw a few on ebay..built by a few shops in pheonix. going for $3500.00 for a 454 or 496 with between 450-550 hp..I figured If I changed the pan, valve covers, head gaskets and for a few more bucks they would actually build with a marine gasket set and drop in a marine cam...So i thought i would check into it. :hammerhea
    Yeah...the key when buying those engines is to make sure that it has forged pistons and crank. Most shops that advertise long block packages will build to order, so it's not really a big deal to change the compression, cam specs, gaskets and freeze plugs to what you want (not much added cost).
    However, I'm not sure I'd buy anything off Ebay. There's lots of horror stories about Ebay engines going south, and you'd pretty much be SOL.

NOTALENT
    Yeah...the key when buying those engines is to make sure that it has forged pistons and crank. Most shops that advertise long block packages will build to order, so it's not really a big deal to change the compression, cam specs, gaskets and freeze plugs to what you want (not much added cost).
    However, I'm not sure I'd buy anything off Ebay. There's lots of horror stories about Ebay engines going south, and you'd pretty much be SOL.
    Yeah..I totally hear that...It was just something mentioned..I thought I would look at..this is a shortblock..they have buy it nows for like $2300. And there in fresno..major company..Probe Industries/ Coast High Performance. But I am still intrested in what Squeezing Spectra can help me with.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=34202

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast