Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Many Volts???

cdog
    How many volts does it take to turn over a starter for a BBC? I have a MCCloid starter on my 540 (low compression). The batts Voltage read at 11.8-12 volts and nothing but a clicks from the gear engaging but it does not have enough power to turn the damm thing over. Is the starter toast? I was also thinking it could be a ground problem so I checked everything and they're all on tight. The batts are 4 new optimas (blue tops).

HOSS
    Did a battery pop yet? You may have one in series.

cdog
    Did a battery pop yet? You may have one in series.
    Did it pop? What do ya mean? As far as them being hooked up in a series, i'm not sure

Havasu Hangin'
    I'd say you have a bad starter. One of those batteries has 750CCA (more than enough)...let alone four.
    What size cable? Does it get warm?
    I say bad starter.

Those voltage readings, combined with just a "click" from the solenoid, generally indicate a bad solenoid.To verify, see what the voltage is coming out of the solenoid going to the motor WHILE attempting to crank engine. If the reading is zero or near-zero, the solenoid's switch portion is bad. If the voltage is the same as the voltage you initially measured, the problem is in the starter's motor .

cdog
    I'd say you have a bad starter. One of those batteries has 750CCA (more than enough)...let alone four.
    What size cable? Does it get warm?
    I say bad starter.
    I took out the starter, (what a bitch with a 12 quart oil pan). Cleaned it up put it back in, Hooked a cheater hand switch up to it and cranked it over. After that I went to the ing. switch and bumped it over too. I then hooked up the hose to the drive climed the F'in ladder to get back in the boat and na da. Just clicks. I then climbed back into the engine compartment, put a finger on the starter housing and clicked the hand switch again. It feels like the gear is engaging but does not turn it over.
    All the batt. leads are 4 gauge.

cdog
    I just got off the phone with summit and orderd a new one. It's hell getting in and out of that engine compartment.
    Does anyone have any ideas for the batts. Should they be in series. I'm going outside to take some pic's. I'll be right back.

Havasu Hangin'
    I took out the starter, (what a bitch with a 12 quart oil pan). Cleaned it up put it back in, Hooked a cheater hand switch up to it and cranked it over. After that I went to the ing. switch and bumped it over too. I then hooked up the hose to the drive climed the F'in ladder to get back in the boat and na da. Just clicks. I then climbed back into the engine compartment, put a finger on the starter housing and clicked the hand switch again. It feels like the gear is engaging but does not turn it over.
    All the batt. leads are 4 gauge.
    First of all, get rid of that 4 guage crap, and put two gauge in there.
    Second, sounds like a bad starter if it's inconsistant. Just to be sure, I'd put a voltmeter on the starter while you hit the hand switch. If it stays up, get a new starter.

Havasu Hangin'
    Does anyone have any ideas for the batts. Should they be in series. I'm going outside to take some pic's. I'll be right back.
    Parallel. If you put them in series, you'll have a 24 volt system. :sqeyes:

Sleek-Jet
    I just got off the phone with summit and orderd a new one. It's hell getting in and out of that engine compartment.
    I wouldn't!!!! Putting 2 batteries in series would equal 24 volts, yowza...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast