Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to reseal jet pump intake

hot_rod
    Can I reseal my intake without removing. Like maybe grind out all the old sealant clean and reseal. Also what the h3ll do you use to seal it either way.
    I have a leak I can't find so I'm resealing and replacing anything and everything that could possibly leak.

Heatseeker
    To find the leak, fill the bilge with water and crawl underneath to find where the water is getting through. You may need to get the boat really nose-high to get the water level up around the transom adapter.
    No use doing a bunch of stuff you don't have to. Re-sealing an intake doesn't sound like much fun to me(especially if not neccesary)!

hot_rod
    :idea: Tried that, it only drips a little (about 2 dpm) but when I am under way and go to WOT the bildge fills up in a hurrry.

sanger rat
    Are you sure its not come from a hose or a fitting or a bad freeze plug?

1Bahnerjet
    this has been run over a few times (I myself started a thread) if the leak is indeed coming from the intake, the general opinion is remove, clean, & re-set with sea going putty (product may vary) let us know what you decide.

hot_rod
    The only thing I'm sure of is I can't see/find where the leak is coming from. I do suspect it's in some way related to the pump/intake. All the hoses are braded SS and the freeze plugs are like new and there is no visible evidence that they r leaking. I plan on pressure testing all the hoses and fittings.
    I need to find out how to r&r the intake and what I will need to do the job. What is sea going putty?

1Bahnerjet
    I haven't removed & re-set my intake (yet) but there are people here that have, you can do a Search. all I know for sure is, it can be a Difficult Job. sea going putty can be had at Marine supply stores. Good Luck

Heatseeker
    I'm with 1Bahnerjet, I've not done an intake removal, but I've heard it's a difficult job. And placement is crucial.
    I don't know if I'd attempt it myself.
    I'd keep looking for the leak!

Mr.&Mrs.Budlight
    Hot Rod, To find the leak, take the motor out and strap the tramsom of the boat to the trailer. Then go back in the water at the closest boat launch slowly and see where water comes in at. If the intake leaks, now is the time to pull it and reseal it. It's a job to remove it and reseal it but with good sense and guidance from some of these guys here, you could do it. It's also a perfect time to machine your intake for updated shoe hardware and a ride plate if you don't have them. Or just take it to Jack@ MPD or Duane@ HTP and let them do their majic!!! Good luck Budlight

FOURQ
    Hot Rod, To find the leak, take the motor out and strap the tramsom of the boat to the trailer. Then go back in the water at the closest boat launch slowly and see where water comes in at. If the intake leaks, now is the time to pull it and reseal it. It's a job to remove it and reseal it but with good sense and guidance from some of these guys here, you could do it. It's also a perfect time to machine your intake for updated shoe hardware and a ride plate if you don't have them. Or just take it to Jack@ MPD or Duane@ HTP and let them do their majic!!! Good luck Budlight
    im with budlight on this one.. the placement is so critical if you have no clue what you are doing dont touch it...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast