Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new to the forums, need some help

kilroybay
    we are redoing a carlson cvx20 with a 460 in it. motor guy put a mild rv cam in it and we dynoed 505 ft. lbs. of torque and about 340 hp. this is what we wanted for reliability in front of a berkeley 12je. my question is should we go with an electronic ignition system or stay stock. the dist. we dynoed with is not up to par and needs to be replaced anyway . look forward to your input.
    regards, kilroybay

Craig
    we are redoing a carlson cvx20 with a 460 in it. motor guy put a mild rv cam in it and we dynoed 505 ft. lbs. of torque and about 340 hp. this is what we wanted for reliability in front of a berkeley 12je. my question is should we go with an electronic ignition system or stay stock. the dist. we dynoed with is not up to par and needs to be replaced anyway . look forward to your input.
    regards, kilroybay
    Good electronic ignition will add to your boats reliability. I had an MSD on my jetboat and on my current boat, they always fire right up as well!

Moneypitt
    Read some of the threads about the piss poor reliability others have had with the various MSD boxes. I don't run one, so I have no opinion.........MP

Craig
    I can say my jetboat box MSD 6AL did have a period where it would not start. I sent it back twice, they kept saying it was fine. Finally it did it again, and I by-passed the box and got home. I sent it back again. It was about a year past the warranty but they sent me a complete new one. That's why I went with them again. Haven't had any issues with the 6M-2 in the 4 years I've had it.
    Craig

Jet City
    I run a Pertronix Ignitor in a recurved Prestolite distributor with a MSD Blaster 2 coil in my mild 460 jetboat, my flattie has a Mallory unilite dist. and promaster coil, both are simple, effective and very reliable.

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
    Happy New Year!
    Here's My $.02 Worth.
    What I Did To My 72 Sidewinder/454 Is Go With New Stock Gm H.e.i., New Coil/spark Module, Mds Super Conductor Wires, Bosch 2 Platinums. Really Stock But Very Reliable.
    Want Spark Plug Wires That Really Kick A** For The $, Check Out Aquapower/sierra Stainless-kevler Spark Plug Wires. Sie 3040 For Small Blocks, Can't Remember The Big Block Chevy/ford/olds #'s. I Rang Out An Equal Length Of A Regular Spark Plug Wire With My Multi-meter, Then Did A Msd Super Conductor Wire, And An Aqp... Be Damned If The Aqp Was The Lowest Resistance Of The Bunch And Their Only $50./set! Even Put 'em Up Against The Taylor "blues" (10mm?) $120.!
    Hey It's Cold And Snowy We Have To Create Neat Boat Ideas All Winter To Use Them In The Spring....bill.

Sleek-Jet
    Heard good things about the Davis Unified Ignition's if you are looking for an HEI type unit.

rrrr
    I can say my jetboat box MSD 6AL did have a period where it would not start. I sent it back twice, they kept saying it was fine. Finally it did it again, and I by-passed the box and got home. I sent it back again. It was about a year past the warranty but they sent me a complete new one. That's why I went with them again. Haven't had any issues with the 6M-2 in the 4 years I've had it.
    Craig
    Seems like most people with problems run the 6AL. It's not intended for marine use. I have the 6M-2 in my flattie and it has always worked great.
    The 6M-2 components are "potted", encapsulated in a clear epoxy compound. It seals out moisture, but more importantly fixes the components to the printed circuit board and prevents problems from vibration and shock. The connectors are waterproof too.
    Only bad thing is that the 6M-2 is more expensive than the 6AL and a separate rev limiter is required. Of course, more expensive in this case equals trouble free operation, so it's worth the extra dough.
    I also installed an MSD pro billet distributor. This ignition system puts out one stinkin' hot spark, you can feel it pulsing through the plug wires.
    I think a lot of people create their ignition problems with sloppy work. Take a look at the terminal strip on the rear of most jet boat motors. It's usually rusty, the screw heads are stripped, and cheesy crimp on connectors are used if at all. Sometimes the wires are just twisted under the screws. The wire is AutoZone crap, various gauges and colors.
    I buy Ancor marine wire, it has more strands than automotive wire and is tin coated for corrosion resistance. I also use Ancor terminals that have heat shrink insulation with adhesive lining. Ancor also makes heat shrink tubing with adhesive lining. The adhesive melts as the insulation or tubing is heated and makes a waterproof connection.
    Wire needs to be properly sized for voltage drop. Use a chart like this one in the West Marine catalog:
    Wire Sizing Chart (http://www.westmarine.com/pdf/0660_ETRIC_MC04.pdf)

Sleek-Jet
    I think a lot of people create their ignition problems with sloppy work. Take a look at the terminal strip on the rear of most jet boat motors. It's usually rusty, the screw heads are stripped, and cheesy crimp on connectors are used if at all. Sometimes the wires are just twisted under the screws. The wire is AutoZone crap, various gauges and colors.
    I buy Ancor marine wire, it has more strands than automotive wire and is tin coated for corrosion resistance. I also use Ancor terminals that have heat shrink insulation with adhesive lining. Ancor also makes heat shrink tubing with adhesive lining. The adhesive melts as the insulation or tubing is heated and makes a waterproof connection.
    Wire needs to be properly sized for voltage drop. Use a chart like this one in the West Marine catalog:
    Wire Sizing Chart (http://www.westmarine.com/pdf/0660_ETRIC_MC04.pdf)
    Yeah, what he said, on all points. There are some ugly rat's nests running around out there. :messedup:
    When I bought my Sleek-Craft here is what I pulled out of it:
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...3Rats_nest.jpg
    No less than 3 seperate wiring harnasses, with a few wires being used out of each.... talk about a mess.

rrrr
    Daaannnnng, now that's some nice wiring work, LOL....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast