Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Playcraft Powertoon X-Treme???

Havasu Cig
    I am going to order a Playcraft next month with either the 496 HO or a 350 Mag. Does anybody have any recomendations of dealers??? I have heard good and bad about Gaines in Havasu so I looking for opinions.

shadow
    I am going to order a Playcraft next month with either the 496 HO or a 350 Mag. Does anybody have any recomendations of dealers??? I have heard good and bad about Gaines in Havasu so I looking for opinions.
    I just heard that Gaines sold out and there will be new owners.Don't know if it's true or if it would affect pricing for you either way to buy from the old owners or new owners.If the sale is in fact true.

nielly
    I am looking into getting a pontoon boat also, either a JC or Playcraft. I did hear that if you have a 496, in order to service and change the spark plugs, the motor needs to be pulled because of the amount of space in the center pontoon. I hope that's not true. If you plan on having a lot of people on the boat, JC seems to carry more weight.
    What do you guys think!!

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
    I am looking into getting a pontoon boat also, either a JC or Playcraft. I did hear that if you have a 496, in order to service and change the spark plugs, the motor needs to be pulled because of the amount of space in the center pontoon. I hope that's not true. If you plan on having a lot of people on the boat, JC seems to carry more weight.
    What do you guys think!!
    look at the Bennington, they are the cadess of pontoon boats, lots of room in the engine compartment but they only go up to a 310HP motor. I.m going to get a 28.

Havasu Cig
    I have heard the 496 option on the Playcraft limits room in the engine compartment but I have not heard the motor had to be pulled to change the plugs. I will have to ask about that.
    Bennington's seem to be very nice but I want a little more speed. They are quoting me 60 mph with the 496 HO and 53 mph with the 350 Mag. I don't know if the $$$ is worth the extra 7 mph in a pontoon boat. Looking for people that have been in both to weigh in on that as well.

MudPumper
    Don't look at it like you only get 7mph for the $$$ of the 496. Consider having the boat loaded with 10 of your friends and all the gear and how easily it will get up on plane and cruise with the 496 compared to the 350. I can tell you that the 350 mag is a dog when it comes to getting a loaded boat up on plane. I don't think you will regret getting a 496. JMO

Havasu Cig
    Good point, I am not used to having that many people on my boat but with a pontoon that will change.

Havasu_Dreamin
    I can tell you that the 350 mag is a dog when it comes to getting a loaded boat up on plane. I don't think you will regret getting a 496. JMO
    We had a 21 Essex Sterling with the 350 MAG and the Bravo III and had no trouble getting up on plane with 10 people in the boat.

framer1
    We had a 21 Essex Sterling with the 350 MAG and the Bravo III and had no trouble getting up on plane with 10 people in the boat.
    Those Bravo 3's are great out of the hole.

uncle larry
    yes - new owners at gaines..
    new owners have beeen playcraft owners for along time...
    gaines must have done something right in the past they were one of playcraft top dealers......
    Good Luck

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast