Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need engine advice

Wingnut
    I have been a long time reader/watcher and have finally decided to take the plunge in participating with you guys, so be easy on me. I need some advice. I have an Advantage 21 SR open bow, jet drive, powered by a carbureted 454/390 HP Indmar engine. My boat is primarily used for family fun (I have 3 small kids). As with anything new, I was happy with the speed (around 55) when I first got it. Now I would like a little more speed/performance (so dad can take a few 'hotlaps' for when the kids & mom pass out on the beach in the afternoon). I bought a Vortech supercharger kit last year but could not install it due to the mechanics of the kit vs my engine compartment (available space). To make a long story short, (after 6 weeks of trying to make it fit) I ended up returning the kit for a refund. I am entertaining the idea again of a supercharger kit, but this time with a Whipple. Without an intercooler, again space may be a problem for me, I am thinking that engine modifications, to support a 6 - 9psi boost (non-I/C'r), may be necessary. How many mods would be required? And are they worth it? Or would it be wiser to install a bigger engine? I do not need to go 100 mph with my hair on fire but would like to get as much speed as possible while staying reasonable with the mods & cost. Thanks.

Slick
    If you want to use a supercharger, start off by calling Dustin Whipple or Procharger. They should be able to tell you exactly what will and will not fit with your application. From what I've read from people on this board Dustin Whipple is a stand-up guy.

Bense468
    How much more speed are you looking for? 5mph, 10mph or 30 mph? If you are just looking for a little gains start with your pump, make it more efficent. I am not sure what exhaust you are running but look into that. Maybe even a cam, or a new set of heads. It really just depends how much faster you are willing to go and how much cash you have in your pocket. If I was going to supercharge it I would not spend the money on heads because you are ramming the air/fuel anyway. You don't need to spend money on lots of head work. With a naturally aspirated motor though you can get some good improvements with these. I would bet with all that I listed maybe 15mph. If you are looking bigger then the best bang for the buck is a supercharger. Or the above with a 150 shot of adrenalin
    [This message has been edited by Bense468 (edited March 15, 2002).]

HBjet
    I would also check what increases you want to see, and how much you want to spend. Since it sounds like you don't want to change/remove your engine cover, I would do a number of things before the supercharger route. I would get some performance headers (Lighting), intake, cam & lifters, carb, and depending on what heads you have, either go with some merlins or have some work done to yours. I would also look into the pump for more speed. Intake and shoe change, maybe turn your impeller down a little to get your RPM's higher in the power band. There is an number of things you can do for more speed before adding a SC or whipple. Good Luck, and welcome to the boards.
    HBjet

froggystyle
    Never one to accept "It wont fit" I question the lack of space for the Vortec unit. Most of the interiors in these things can be manipulated forwards and backwards to accomodate engine placement. I would be very suprised to find that you couldn't just move your back seat forward and have a new hatch built for probably less than $1000. That is cheaper than the other mods we are talking about on here, and then you are blown!
    Just ask Andy about me and blowers though!

froggystyle
    By the way, welcome to the boards!

Wingnut
    Thanks for the responses. Oh, if I can gain 30 mph, I am all for it. Yes, I was willing to move my backseat forward, but decided not to because that would require a radical hatch mod, which would have resulted in less legroom for my backseat drivers. The Vortech kit needed something like 6 extra inches of forward space. I am hoping to get the best of both worlds by expanding my engine components upward (Whipple) rather than a lateral (Vortech) in order to gain speed without sacrificing floor space (while trying to keep everything under the hatch). Yes, I will probably change out the stock headers and install roller lifters/cam kit. I have talked to Jack at MPD (name??) in Costa Mesa about some pump work. His credibility appears to be very strong and I think his approach to solving my wish will also help. Keep the suggestions coming - I appreciate them.

riodog
    OH, like WOW, my heros ! Gee, 30 mph for only $ 1000. Mr. Froggy where do I send my check and who do I make it out to ?
    Riodog
    p.ssss., do ya think I could get 40 mph for $ 1250.? and why do I need a back seat to get blown and do you think he should go get one of them there agggressor super go-fast pimpellors and maybe he should be talking to chet canoodlehead cause he ussually has all the answers and I'll bet right about now everybody down at smellsinor is freezing their asses off and i wonder where i left that last bullit?

froggystyle
    No animosity here! Tell it how it really is Mike.. hehe
    I'm just saying that you can move seats... We all know you aren't scared to do that!

superdave013
    I didn't see where Froggy said anything about 30 mph for a 1,000.
    Anyway, these guys gave good advice about looking into the pump. I don't know anything about pumps so I'll stay out of that. But if you want 30 more mph it will take all the pump goodies and some engine mods also. Like HBjet said you will need to let it beathe with some better exhaust. I think the whipple is the best set up out right now. Their intercooler is built into the manifold and only adds 1 1/2" to the height I think. If you wanted to send the coin you could get the EFI version with an intercooler and it would not be much taller that what you have now. As far as what you can do with a stock bottom end I have now idea as I have always built blower engines from the bottom up. Talk to Dustin about it and he will know what you can get away with.
    Or you could scrap that entier SC idea and just put a nitrous system on it http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif That would be the most bang for the buck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast