Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is a split bowl and why is it superior

Doug The Jeweler
    ttt
    [This message has been edited by Doug The Jeweler (edited March 11, 2002).]

77charger
    i know that you can add performane enhancing items easier,wedges,droop snoots,etc.place diverters can be added to either bowls.theres probably more but that is all i know.

Doug The Jeweler
    A
    [This message has been edited by Doug The Jeweler (edited March 11, 2002).]

There are 2 basic types of bowl: the standard (or one-piece) and the split (or two-piece) bowl.
    The standard bowl is a single casting that includes the steering nozzle receptacle and steering pivot bosses.
    The split bowl is made up of two castings. One is the bowl proper and the other is the steering receptacle. They are bolted together. The advantage to the split bowl is that you can add wedges and dropped nozzle assemblies to further tune the pumps performance.
    Here is an example of a split bowl with dropped nozzle:
    http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Read...s/DSCN3239.JPG
    Here is a pic of a one-piece bowl:
    http://www.berkeleyjet.com/images/Be...012JC%20bw.jpg
    [This message has been edited by OLDSQUIRT (edited March 10, 2002).]
    [This message has been edited by OLDSQUIRT (edited March 10, 2002).]

MoJetBoPar
    Uh, nothing additional of value to add here, but NICE hardware on that boat with the split bowl!!
    I like the anodized aluminum and hydraulic steering and place diverter controls too.

HBjet
    Originally posted by Doug The Jeweler:
    I keep seeing post about split bowls.Could you tell me about them and what makes them superior to other bowls.Is it a Berkley product,Agressor,Legend,American Turbine?Thanks for the lesson
    How can you post this question, and on the next day post this...
    Originally posted by Doug The Jeweler:
    I will share with you my experimenting with different setups.I had a Berkley jet and a Dominator impellor and I wanted to go faster.My builder says agressor has a hot new set up.I ordered a new tensloy impeller and after 9 hours of grinding it to make it smooth,We installed it and it slowed my boat down by 7 mph and took two short passes to shatter it.I'm glad I brought my Dominator imperror just in case.We went back to Dave and found out we had cut the impellor down the wrong way.Dave was great and gave us a free one even though it was our mistake.We tried 4 more with simular results and each time I was glad I had brought the Dominator Imp.I tried the Anerican Turbine High flow bowl.In my first lake race,when I was slowing my boat down,the bowl blew a hole about 10 inches in diameter in the top of the bowl.My biggest rooster tail ever.I am glad I brought my old Berkley bowl so the week-end wasn't wasted.The saddest day in my life is when the dominator was destroyed by a big HP motor and cavitation.I put on a Legend impellor next and it was ok but my motor was too strong for it to last forever.I found a Berkley stainless impellor and ran the hell out of it.It is hard to beat Berkley and Dominator products for dependably.In all fairness Both Aggressor and American turbine were great with their support.Both were experiencing new product blues with me.I did like the way Agressors 9 vein bowl preformed.I stage three flowed my berkley bowl and it proved a great improvement.I had the Agressor bowl flowed but never tried it out.It is very expensive to experiment with all these jet parts.I would ask the boards opinion as well as the local shops and then make an informed decision.It will save you bucks.That is what these boards are for and can help others with good advice.
    DTJ
    And not know what a Split Bowl is. Dude, I would think after all that testing you would surly know.
    HB"Should we boot him off"Jet
    [This message has been edited by HBjet (edited March 10, 2002).]

Leon
    HB Jet, I must agree, what is this ol boy's agenda? Oh hell, I better watch what I say, "Bad Things" might happen to me. PLEEEEASE.
    Leon: At the drop of a hat.

TaylorLP20
    Some people like to hear themselves talk. DTJ must be the internet equivalent. Better shut up now, don't want anyone coming after me.

DetroitJim
    I'm baffled too, maybe his kid is on line. Or if he is jerking our chain, maybe we should send BIG DADDY after him.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast