Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much power could a woofer amp power,

1stepcloser
    If a woofer amp could power woofers?
    Four 12" subs wired parallel to a 1000 watt mono amp. In laymans terms each speaker would "see" 1000 watts, right?
    Same four 12" subs, this time each wired independently to four of the same 1000 watt amps. Again in laymans terms, each speaker "sees" 1000 watts, right?
    :squiggle: :notam:

sigepmock
    How much resistance in each sub 2,4, 8 ohms? and are they single or dual voice coils? and how are the voicecoils wired parallel or series?

ROZ
    dvc:
    4 2ohm drivers will work if the amp produces 1000watts at 1ohm....
    4 4ohm drivers will work if the amp produces 1000watts at 2ohms...
    4 6ohm drivers will work if the amp produces 1000watts at 3ohms...
    Or
    4 2ohm series drivers if the amp produces 1000watts and is stable at .25 ohms :idea: :notam:
    Well, what ya thinking? :hammer2: .... nevermind, I see what you're asking....
    Well, gotta go

1stepcloser
    The configuration makes no difference in this exercise, it's a theory thing.
    I know how the answer arrives, what I want to know is why we get there.
    heres the scene;
    two systems, one is a single 1000 watt amp driving four subs.
    Other system is four 1000 watt amps each driving a single sub.
    Although the obvious difference is 3000 watts in potential energy, each sub in either system would theoretically "see" the same amount of power.
    See?
    I'm going home now.

1stepcloser
    dvc:
    Well, what ya thinking? :hammer2: .... nevermind, I see what you're asking....
    Well, gotta go
    Tease.

Havasu Hangin'
    The configuration makes no difference in this exercise, it's a theory thing.
    I know how the answer arrives, what I want to know is why we get there.
    heres the scene;
    two systems, one is a single 1000 watt amp driving four subs.
    Other system is four 1000 watt amps each driving a single sub.
    Although the obvious difference is 3000 watts in potential energy, each sub in either system would theoretically "see" the same amount of power.
    See?
    I'm going home now.
    A 1,000 watt amp cannot put out 4,000 watts (for very long). It really depends on what ohm load the amp is rated (and stable) at. Sounds like a cheater amp exercise....
    The candle that burns twice as bright lasts half as long. :idea:

ROZ
    Subs don't have eyes..... They're aweful resistant, though...

1stepcloser
    A 1,000 watt amp cannot put out 4,000 watts (for very long). Sounds like a cheater amp exercise....
    No no no, I'm so misunderstood. :cry:
    First case;
    For the sake of this exercise, lets forget about resistance loads and configuration for a moment and consider the theory.
    A single 1000 watt amplifier produces 1000 watts at two ohms, right? (theoretically)
    If I attach one two ohm subwoofer to it that subwoofer would be driven by 1000 watts of energy, no?
    If I attach 4 subwoofers to it, and maintain the two ohm load, all the subwoofers would be driven by the same 1000 watts, right?
    So, then, in my feeble mind, each subwoofer is being driven by 1000 watts, right?
    In the next example; we have a very simple setup;
    1000 watt amplifier produces 1000 watts at two ohms, and a two ohm subwoofer is attached to it.
    Voila! a single subwoofer being driven by 1000 watts, right?
    Now, there are four of these in this hypothetical system, so there is 4000 watts of potential energy, but each individual subwoofer is being driven by 1000 watts.
    Ya follow?
    Subs dont have eyes.....they're awful resistent though.
    :jawdrop: Smart aleck....

Havasu Hangin'
    First case;
    For the sake of this exercise, lets forget about resistance loads and configuration for a moment and consider the theory.
    A single 1000 watt amplifier produces 1000 watts at two ohms, right? (theoretically)
    If I attach one two ohm subwoofer to it that subwoofer would be driven by 1000 watts of energy, no?
    If I attach 4 subwoofers to it, and maintain the two ohm load, all the subwoofers would be driven by the same 1000 watts, right?
    So, then, in my feeble mind, each subwoofer is being driven by 1000 watts, right?
    No...your feeble mind needs to divide 1,000 by 4, since they are sharing the watts.
    In the next example; we have a very simple setup;
    1000 watt amplifier produces 1000 watts at two ohms, and a two ohm subwoofer is attached to it.
    Voila! a single subwoofer being driven by 1000 watts, right?
    Now, there are four of these in this hypothetical system, so there is 4000 watts of potential energy, but each individual subwoofer is being driven by 1000 watts.
    No.
    Yes...you are confused.
    Each subwoofer gets its equal amount (if they have the same resistance) of the 1,000 watts.
    OK...here's a similar question. Let's say you have two 12" pizzas. If you divide one pizza into four slices, does that pizza quadruple in size? :idea:
    Ya follow?

1stepcloser
    Point taken, but in rebuttal I would counter that if I were to measure the amplifiers output would it not be 1000 watts?
    (yes, it would)
    Then, if I were to measure the output at the first speaker in the line would it be 250 watts? and at the second it would be 250 and so on down the line?
    (No, it would not)
    If the amplifiers output load is 2 ohms, it would seem to me that no matter the amount of speakers being driven, thay would all share the same amount of power, but each one individually would, conversly, also be driven by the full potential.
    And in the second example, I am referring to four 1000 watt amplifiers, each one driving a single subwoofer, for a total output of 4000 watts, driving 4 subs.
    I'm tired, and I think I'm gonna go to bed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast