Thread: Scoops, legal?

BowTie Rick
    Are forward facing scoops on an engine cover legal or not? I get 10 different answers every 10 people I ask. I have a 00 Ultra 21LX and put a Harwood scoop on the engine cover with a K&N 9" x 5" flame arrestor under it. The flame arrestor is not in the scoop, just under it, but too tall for the cover to close without it. I like the idea of venting out the compartment and getting fresh air in without restriction for 100% volumetric efficiency and they look mean. To me, it also would be safer and easier to put out a fire, just blast it down the scoop, then lift the hatch and put out any residual burn. I can send a picture if y'all tell me how. So far, the river cops have not said anything or pulled me over but I'd like to be sure and not have to steer away when I see them http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

77charger
    must have the flame arrestor in it or it is illegal facing foward or not.btw mine faces foward

RiverToysJas
    That's not true 77C. Rear facing scoops do not need flame arrestors.
    BTR, ask BoatCop on his message board, first check this thread: http://disc.server.com/discussion.cg...46&article=174
    RTJas

superdave013
    You should be ok with the flame arrestor on the engine.

Tinkerboater
    I was always told that if the engine was enclosed you had to have a flame arrester.

77charger
    i got a free cg inspection(surprise at havasu)he went straight for the filter to see if it was a coast guard approved he stated that there must be a flame arrestor or cg appvoved something on a carb.
    Originally posted by RiverToysJas:
    That's not true 77C. Rear facing scoops do not need flame arrestors.
    BTR, ask BoatCop on his message board, first check this thread: http://disc.server.com/discussion.cg...46&article=174
    RTJas

CrazyHippy
    Unless it is an open engine compartment.
    BJH

BowTie Rick
    The Flame Arrestor is a K&N but it is legal. The base and top are stainless steel and say "K&N Marine Type, SAE J1928" on the edges and the filter has this molded into the top and bottom seals too. I guess the only real worry is women with long hair getting it sucked down the scoop.

RiverToysJas
    Originally posted by 77charger:
    i got a free cg inspection(surprise at havasu)he went straight for the filter to see if it was a coast guard approved he stated that there must be a flame arrestor or cg appvoved something on a carb.
    Unless you've changed something, your scoop faces forward.
    Here's what BoatCop says on the issue, as it pertains to open engines:
    "As long as the velocity stack or scoop is metal (no plastic or fiberglas) and is installed in such a way that will direct any flame from a backfire away from passengers, you're ok.
    If you want the scoop to face forward, there are flame arrestors that go inside the scoop that will keep you safe and legal.
    You don't necessarily have to get one that's "CG Approved." Those that are UL (Underwriters Labratory) listed "Marine Type" are also accepted.
    These are the USCG regulations"
    That's a direct quote from his forum.
    RTJas.