Thread: Alph -VS- SX drive

Hermosa
    I'm looking at a family open bow, any idea what is the better drive to have for lake use. The options are a Volvo 5.0 GXI (270hp) with an SX drive, or a Merc 5.0 (250hp) with an Alpha 1 drive. What motor package would you take? The boat will be a Crownlone or a Bryant 20' boat...Thanks in advance for the info.

Hermosa
    I tried to move this topic to Outdrive Tech, but did not have the permissions to do so, can anyone out there move this for me? Thanks. I was reading up on Jet stuff when i created this topic, my bad...

572Daytona
    Have you seen this thread in the sterndrive forum discussing volvo vs merc? http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000100.html

RiverDave
    For a Drive motor package like that you'd be much better going with the Mercruiser over the Volvo even though it has less Horsepower..
    If you ever need service/parts it's much easier to get parts for a mercruiser then a volvo and the parts are generally a little cheaper becuase the drives are so common..
    Now if you would've said a Bravo III or a DPX600, I'd take the DPX any day of the week. Comes stock with external steering, and it's (from what I've heard) and all around beefier drive..
    RD
    [This message has been edited by RiverDave (edited February 20, 2002).]

Hermosa
    Sounds good, like you said, the Mercs have been around for a while, I know the Bravo drive is good, but I see soooo many boay guys (family type boats) using Volvo now, it just made me stop and think why. I also have heard the warranty is longer on the Volvo, although that doesn't mean mutch if you have a broken drive and it's in the shop waiting for parts...

River Gambler
    Go with the Volvo or up grade to the Bravo 1 drive. The alpha drive is rated fora max of 300 hp and is about half the size of the SX or Bravo drive. When you look at them together the alpha looks like a toy. I have ran both the bravo and sx with no proplems. The volvo shifts much smoooother. In the past they were built over seas and parts were hard to come by. They are now built in the US of A and Volvo has a 24 hour parts turn around guarantee. Merc has alot more after market parts at this time, but Volvo is starting to catch up.
    I currently own an 18 ft jet and a Crownline 202 BR. Its running the Volvo 5.0 GXI 250 hp. Its a great boat and is very well built. I also looked at the Bryant. Its is a great boat but priced to high ( in my book ) for what you get.
    To get other opinons you should go to the Crownline web site. There is a lot of discussion about the pro and cons of out drives. Just my .02 worth.

RiverDave
    Hermosa, for that motor package the Alpha drive is fine. It's also a little more efficient then the Bravo would translates into more speed as well as less money. The Bravo IS a bigger drive and causes more drag in the water..
    RD

Hermosa
    I looked at the Crownline 202, nice boat, but they were too high on price, would not deal at all, three different dealerships. I test drove a Bryant on Friday, was awesome, ended up buying it, it's the 198 model (20')with the Volvo 5.0 GXi (270hp). They really got me the price I was looking for, I was also afraid that they were going to be a little high, but it worked out. Nice boat, lots of the same interior features as the Crownline 202. I really like the fact that the Gel coat was so nice, and the pin stripes were in the gel coat, I hate decals and stick on pin stripes. I'll see how that Volvo does, I was impresed on how smoothe the outdrive was when shifted into gear, much different than the Alpha drive. Not saying the Alpha isn't good, but I did like the Volvo SX so far. I get the boat in 6 weeks, looking forward to having a boat again!!