Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beating a radar ticket in California...

dmontzsta
    I borrowed this from another forum. Thought it might come in handy to my local Hot Boaters.
    I just beat a ticket for (ahem, well) over 100 mph in a 70 mph zone on I-5. The best advice is hire traffic ticket defense attorney extraordinare Sherman Ellison of Sherman Oaks, CA.
    Here is how he did it. The CHP is required by law to have their radar guns certified every 30 months. The officer who cited me came to court today with a photocopy of a radar gun accuracy test performed by a lab at San Diego State University in May 2004 (well within 30 months ago). That document is INADMISSIBLE HEARSAY. For all you non-lawyers, that means that the proof that the radar gun was tested and accurate can't come into evidence at trial. They would have had to bring the lab technician from SDSU in to testify at trial that he performed the test and that the certification document was authentic, which of course the prosecution did not do. There are exceptions to the hearsay rule, but Mr. Ellison convinced the Judge (who hated his guts and wanted to find me guilty if he could, but he had to follow the law) that the exceptions did not apply.

mickeyfinn
    Don't believe that is exactly how it works. There may have been a problem with the fact that it was a photocopy and not the original that might have been enough to keep the judge from recognizing it. Worst case would be requiring an affadavit signed by the technician, 2 witnesses and a notary. Glad to hear he beat it though.

MudPumper
    I think the best way to beat a ticket is to obey the law :hammerhea

JetBoatRich
    I think the best way to beat a ticket is to obey the law :hammerhea
    What fun is that :idea:

ahhell
    I cant even do 100....governed at 100...like i need to :rollside:
    the 'other' car on the other hand....

Kilrtoy
    This is a joke RIGHT, If you believe this, you still believe in the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus....

77charger
    just hope the officer doesnt show and you are wining.other than that you are screwed.better opt for traffic school if you see the cop at the court.

Kilrtoy
    Real pissed off right now

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
    Real pissed off right now
    she dosent have to work tonight and will be there with you :rollside:

Kilrtoy
    Nothing just stirring the pot.....
    Actually No I gave SYA her Cell # and now he is calling her and breathing hard and making funny noises.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast