Thread: 300 Yamaha oil use

CNeidhart
    Hi,
    I've got a pair of new (40 hrs) 300 HPDI Yamaha's on my Hydra Sport. They seem to use a lot of oil still. The boat is in Mexico, so I can't take it to a Dealer to have it checked out. I thought I would measure the amount of oil used with a 50 to 100 gallons of gas, then doing the math.
    Any experienced 300 Yamaha Owners?
    Thanks,
    Chuck

CrazyHippy
    How bad are you talkiing? I use 1 gallon of oil for every 32 gallons of gas. Is it that bad?
    BJH

stoker2001
    my bro runs a 225hp mecrc optimax direct injection,which is similiar to yamys HPDI.they are both two star rated (caly air resource board)and burn alot cleaner then standard electronic fuel injected two strokes.my bro claims his uses alot of oil too,but he never really sees visible smoke tho.better too much,then not eneough :2purples: Is your boat stored down in San Felipe by chance (sea of cortez)?the inlaws just moved down there and we will be visiting from time to time.

Wicky
    Hi,
    I've got a pair of new (40 hrs) 300 HPDI Yamaha's on my Hydra Sport. They seem to use a lot of oil still. The boat is in Mexico, so I can't take it to a Dealer to have it checked out. I thought I would measure the amount of oil used with a 50 to 100 gallons of gas, then doing the math.
    Any experienced 300 Yamaha Owners?
    Thanks,
    Chuck
    I had a lot of experience with the 235 Excel motor fouling plugs. Couldn't troll with it for very long without fouling out plugs. Very fun changing plugs 70 miles out to sea in 22' Whaler with sloppy 8-10ft seas. :supp:
    The dealer ended up changing out the oil pump under warranty to a lower volume pump. I think you will need to do the same it sounds like.
    Mow,
    Wicky

CNeidhart
    Hi Giys,
    Thanks for the replies. I've been playing on the new toy and I'm not use to the sloooow internet service I have in Mexico. It's time to upgrade.
    After being on the boat for another 19 hrs. I'm not sure I have a problem or concern anymore. I've been racing around in this thing and if I keep out of the throttle it does not seem to use much oil. It's when she is WOT @ 45 gph, we really consume oil. No sh%t!
    I have a house in San Carlos, Guaymas Mexico. We're 280 mile south of Nogales.
    Here's a picture of my Mexico toy.
    http://www.msnusers.com/CharlesNeidh...%20Sport%2Ejpg