Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Comments on the old Eliminator 234 Edge

bigq
    What is the story on theses hulls. Anyone know how they perform and ride?How would it do in the havasu chop, would it ride on top like most cats?
    thanks, Wayne

rivercrazy
    I'm not totally sure but I think its more of a modified tunnel than a true cat design. I heard they run pretty damn good. I remember one article on it (can remember which mag) a few years ago that said it ran 80 with 425hp. Too bad they don't offer it anymore.

HavasuDreamin'
    I always thought they were great looking boats (without the radar arch). Not sure how they run, obviously they do not have the steps in the sponsons but I would expect you could make them run into the 80+MPH range without to much trouble. Much more than that, you will need to check out the drive! Good Luck!

Sandbar Mike
    My Cheetah has a very similar hull to the eliminator edge, I've herd from previous edge owners that they are real rough, although I don't know how true that is. My Cheetah runs very well especially in chop,though I do get airborn pritty easy, one thing I have noticed is my boat is very well balanced, the weight displacment is suprisingly good, I've always had good landings after 2-3ft air.
    Has anyone out there driven or rode in an Edge?
    Mike

DogHouse
    Yeah the two are similar but by no means identical. I happened to be at Havasu one day in my Cheetah, going the same speed & direction alongside an Edge, about 70 through some choppy two footers. Of course we weren't racing. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif I had the small block at the time so I was tapped. He was running more hp and had some mph on me, but his boat was getting squirrely, rocking side to side pretty violently at times, enough that I was able to hang with him for the most part. There seems to be enough difference in the bottoms so that the two boats behave differently in the rough, or at least they did that day. I wouldn't say my boat was riding smooth over that stuff, but at least it was stable. A true cat with more tunnel depth and width will give a better ride than these shallow mod tunnels.
    my $0.02, for what it's worth (about 2 cents!)
    -Brian
    [This message has been edited by DogHouse (edited March 05, 2002).]

Sandbar Mike
    Hey Doghouse wazup,
    Thats what I have herd, My Dick step father was tellen me not to get my cheetah last season, He previousley owned an edge years ago and swares that it was rough as hell.
    He was suprised at how well the Cheetah handled the rough. There must be a difference in tunnel depth.
    Mike

bigq
    I have been looking at the Cheetah also.I am still deceiding between a V hull and a cat/tunnel. I just don't really like the way a V will ride at speed, but I heard it is better for rough water. We boat 95% of the time in Havasu.I like the 24 Cheetah. What is the size you guys are running?

Sandbar Mike
    hey bigq,
    This is my first tunnel ever owning, I grew up in deep V hull boats, all I know is once you drive a tunnel or a cat the game completely changes trust me. If for some reason you do go for the V hull don't get anything smaller than a 25ft for Havasu you'll get beat up to bad,
    Cheetah has a 23 and a 24 that have identicle hulls, the only difference in the 24 is the rear swim steps are built into the hull, and about 300lbs.
    My 24 open bow has a 6.2 377 Mercruiser w bravo 1, it will run my boat around fully loaded at 65mph all day long. The best I've seen is 70 under a light load.
    It sounds like doghouse brian is repowering his 23, I hope I don't run into him out there, he'll probably woopen on me.
    Damn, Summer better get here quick all this talking is making me crazy.
    Mike

bigq
    Originally posted by Sandbar Mike:
    hey bigq,
    My 24 open bow has a 6.2 377 Mercruiser w bravo 1, it will run my boat around fully loaded at 65mph all day long. The best I've seen is 70 under a light load.
    Mike, that sound like what I would get. i like that 6.2, good internals and power in a small package. That's good to know it runs 65 with that set-up. I called and talked to Whipple about the SC for that motor and they said about 500hp http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/happy/happy11.gif .Thanks again for the info.
    Wayne

DogHouse
    Hey Mike, it's not my little pump gas 588 that you need to be worried about... It's my friend's twin turbo hemi/#4 SSM that will be packing the real heat for the Cheetah camp. Can't wait to go for a ride when that thing gets sorted out!
    -Brian

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast