Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: ventilated v-hull safety

ECeptor
    Check out Velocity's opinion on the subject (scroll to bottom of page):
    http://www.velocityboats.com/Safety.html
    So, is this "safety risk" real or marketing hype?

Kilrtoy
    Guess ya'll better sell them boats.....
    and buy a velocity

Havasu Hangin'
    Steve Stepp (pardon the expression) has been preaching the benefits of pad bottom lift over steps for a loooong time... :sleeping:
    IMHO, pad bottoms seem to land a little harder than true V's.

CornWater
    Check out Velocity's opinion on the subject (scroll to bottom of page):
    http://www.velocityboats.com/Safety.html
    So, is this "safety risk" real or marketing hype?
    I would have to say a little of both..

OGShocker
    That is one of the BIG reasons we chose Dana Boats as our builder. NO STEPPED hull! For the two to three MPH gains a stepped hull provides, the dangers outweighed the need for speed. Our Dana can hook a 60 MPH turn in veried conditions when it needs to.

Kilrtoy
    Can someone explain the differences of the two hulls and how it affects the handling of the boat

Havasu Hangin'
    Can someone explain the differences of the two hulls and how it affects the handling of the boat
    A pad bottom lifts the hull out of the water to create less drag. On the bottom of the keel, near the transom, the "V" will flatten out. This flat area acts like a wing (creating lift).
    A stepped hull has...well, steps, that induce turbulance under the hull creating lift.

XTRM22
    I'd like to see some informed explainations on this myself. My 22' Extreme has a delta pad, but was also offered with a single step as an option. My simpletons understanding is that the step really just creates a bond breaker with the waters surface. Theoretically I guess it's a faster hull but also logically seems it might be more apt to break loose sideways in a turn. I also think to say a stepped hull is less safe then a non-step hull is crazy. I've driven both, and I think you can feel the diference, but it's just not that big a deal.
    Chuck

XTRM22
    A pad bottom lifts the hull out of the water to create less drag. On the bottom of the keel, near the transom, the "V" will flatten out. This flat area acts like a wing (creating lift).
    A stepped hull has...well, steps, that induce turbulance under the hull creating lift.
    SO if you have both and enough HP to get it up on the Delta pad are the steps doing anything? Seriously, I've seen the Crownlines or Searays with "serpentine" steps that to me look like they'd be dry if you were really planing right.
    CHuck "showing confusion publically" XTRM22

Jbb
    Jeff ....Have you ever seen a stepped hull slide in a turn......I have seen a couple of Fountains spin hard in a turn.....And although not exactly my favorite with styling points...The Poker Run In Jacksonville usually brings about 35 of them together...Including Stepp himself..... and those hulls respond VERY well to bigger power.....

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast