Thread: bad coil???

DickDanger
    How do you know when your coil is going bad? Does it just up and take a dump on you, or is it more of a gradual thing? Let me know..thanks a bunch -Dick Danger out

rstover1
    Just grab a plug wire and have someone crank it while your holding on to the wire then you'll know if its workin http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif j/k I've often wondered the same thing I've had them go all at once and I've also one time had one just kinda half ass work, however this was on a four wheel drive truck and it got a little wet and muddy about a week before. I may be wrong but, couldn't you put a voltage meter on it....

flat broke
    rstover1 is right, by measuring the impedence accross the coil, you can verify if the coil is good or bad. The impedance values will differ from manufacturer to manufacturer, but you can call them to get the value. Any chiltons will have the test procedure in it. Actually I think the MSD install notes also have it under the troubleshooting section. If you are running a CD type ignition (honestly any type of ignition but especially CD) DO NOT USE THE METHOD rstover1 WAS JOKING ABOUT. Beleive it or not the voltage can cause a disruption to the normal functioning of the SA node on your heart. This could result in arythmia or if you timed it just right, a myocardial infarction. I know most of us have been zapped by a 50,000 volt charge at least once, and any involved can tell you that you feel it for a while.
    Good luck,
    Chris

BLOWNDRAGBOAT
    Damn you guys are brave.....I have a 12amp MSD magneto that needs testing.....Any volunteers? Someone told me you could stick your tongue onit like ya do to test those little 9 volt batteries. LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mister460
    I thought I had a myocardial infarction once.....but it just turned out to be an ercotonium blannarck.

rstover1
    Originally posted by mister460:
    I thought I had a myocardial infarction once.....but it just turned out to be an ercotonium blannarck.
    Yea I got that from this girl one time but, antibiotics cleared it right up!!!