Thread: dart aluminum heads

texas-19
    I came across a good deal on some dart pro-1 heads so i have a couple of questions because i have not owned a pair of aluminum heads before.They are going on a low compression early model 454 bbc.
    I am assuming a fel-pro gasket work ok?What part #?Anything else work better?Have read a little bit about cometic gasket,would it be worth the cost for a low compression motor?
    Anything about these heads i should watch out for?Any special installation suggestions?Do's or dont's?

Moneypitt
    Most aluminum heads have additional head bolt holes. The block will need to be drilled and tapped to allow their use. The bolts run through the intake ports and the holes must be plugged if you're not going to add the extra holes in the block. I don't know for sure about the dart heads, but beware, and check this out.........MP

texas-19
    thanks MP for the heads up!

PC Rat
    I have the Dart Pro-1 325cc heads. No extra bolt holes. Are they the assembled heads from Dart? You might check on spring pressures and clearances. There are a few different offerings as far as port size, valve size, valve spring etc. They don't use the best valvetrain parts on the assembled heads- not that they're bad, but I wound up changing my stuff to better quality parts.
    Brian

texas-19
    pc rat
    These are 325's also.They are used but complete and will be going to the the machine shop asap.The guy i got them from said he changed valves and installed roller springs so i am hoping all the parts will work for me.Are you happy with them?

blowngas
    not real sure what you are trying to accomplish with the addition of aluminum heads on an old low compression motor ----are you looking down the road to rebuild and maybe go blown?----I really feel you would be better off spending money on some good rotating parts instead of aluminum heads that will probably be corroided in 2 years time from lake use to the point that there won't be much left :frown: ----heads are normally the last thing a guy needs to improve performance ---really feel that a person should stick with steel heads on a lake boat---save your money till your ready to race it :shift:

texas-19
    blowgas,
    My motor isn't old,i built it to run on pump gas,and i have spent alot of money on the bottom end.Where i need to upgrade is with heads not the bottom end.You may have misunderstood the comment on the low compression.Comparing flow #'s, factory ovals vs's dart their is a big difference and the weight savings.I know about the velocity thing too. The ovals have worked fine for several years but came across a deal i could not pass up.I am gonna try them and if i don't like them i can always sell them for more than i paid for them.I can tell you don't know me very well,have you seen how all my posts end? :smile:

blowngas
    "if i don't like them i can always sell them for more than i paid for them."-------that should work----sounds like you're on top of it

PC Rat
    if i don't like them i can always sell them for more than i paid for them.
    Said that one a few times myself - could never actually make it happen though.

wsuwrhr
    Aluminum heads will need slightly higher compression to work right also.
    Brian