Thread: Bravo 1 and Alpha 1 limits

ECeptor
    What are the rpm, torque, and power limits for both the Bravo 1 and Alpha 1 drives? Assume a 400hr desired lifespan and maintence per Mercury's schedule.

BiesemeyerSquirt
    I have a 454 (350hp) behind a alpha 1 in a scarab1. It has over 300 hrs on it with no problems at all. I try to be easy out of the hole, but thats the only caution I use with it.

carreraboat
    What are you putting it on weight? type of hull?

ECeptor
    What are you putting it on weight? type of hull?
    Just a generic question with no specific application in mind. I'm trying to get a handle on the limits of individual components so when the time comes I can mix and match to create economical combinations of engines and drives.
    It's an engineer thing...

BiesemeyerSquirt
    My 7.4/alpha is in a 1987 scarab1, I would guess it eighs around 4200lb.

don johnson
    Just a generic question with no specific application in mind. I'm trying to get a handle on the limits of individual components so when the time comes I can mix and match to create economical combinations of engines and drives.
    It's an engineer thing...
    Merc says the new style bravo with straight cut gears is good to 600 HP. Modified bravos, Imco, Max Machine, Teague say theirs are good to 800 HP and 800 ft lbs. I know several people, myself included, that run much more into a modified Bravo. I personally have 1,050 HP going into my B Max with Imco lowers. I have a fair share of problems, usually replace 2-3 drives a year.
    Seems that Max Machine has the hot setup right now. Theirs seems to be taking more abuse then Teague and Imco....
    Hope this helps.

540COLE
    I have a 1990 22' Cole Superhawk with a 540ci BBC that makes 650hp and spins a 30 pitch four-blade Hydromotive Prop at 5300 rpm. The boat is not a dog out of the hole, and tops 90 mph. We baby on plane and up to about 50 mph, not throwing too much throttle at it, and I have now had it for 9 seasons and the only maintenance has been changing the outdrive oil annually. HP synthetic, of course.