Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine Question for the gear heads.

Tremor Therapy
    My boat has the 496 Mag HO, and I have read many threads regarding supercharging, adding the Raylar kit, etc, and have seen costs from 6k all the way up to 10k for these kits and installations.
    I do not recall any thread regarding the Chevy crate racing motors, and a boating application. I was wondering why some of the re-power, or add power guys have not looked into these motors? The particular motor below is 620 hp and 675 lbs torque at a little over 12k.
    Any information regarding these motors would be greatly appreciated.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/.../146engine.jpg

InKahntrol
    There have been quite a few threads regarding crate motors in general and that 572 in particular over the past year or so, I would do a search for "crate motor" to get some really detailed answers.
    The long and short of it is, a GM crate motor would work just fine in a boat. However, GM Performance Parts is very specific in their warranty that marine applications are not covered. Mercruiser engines, obviously, are. So, if you go out and hammer on your $12k engine and it lets go, you're out of luck. That doesn't mean much, however, since the same rule applies to just about any modified high performance engine short of a factory-stock Merc package. All the GM crage engines are solid, and the 572 is packed with top-shelf components so it should last a good long while if you take care of it. Of course a motor like that needs to breathe, so if you don't already have some sort of high-performance exhaust system you'll want to look into some Imco manifolds at the very least, and double-jacketed headers if you really want to make power. Also, the cam in that engine might be too big for marine use, as it has short lobe centers and might try to suck water up the exhaust when you pull the power back. A shop like Pro Marine in LHC or Wilkes Marine in CA could tell you if you need to change the cam or not. If you do, its a roller so all you would have to do is order a marine grind roller cam and stuff it in. Lunati offers all the hi-po Mercruiser grinds in their catalog.
    A few years ago I helped a friend get a 502hp 502 for his 28' Eliminator Eagle, and it picked up about 7mph over the stock 454 magnum. He's happy and the engine still runs great. For that type of situation (his 454 dropped a valve and was blown up), a crate motor swap works really well. It isn't such a great option for new boat shoppers. Once you take the cost of the crate engine, add the cost of a new cam, all the gear necessary to marinize a motor (cooling system, exhaust, etc) and then factor in the lack of a warranty it doesn't make much sense.
    You mentioned adding a supercharger, and the same arguments could be applied to that as well. Despite what the blower companies claim, slapping a supercharger (or turbocharger or nitrous) to a box-stock big block will drastically increase engine wear. If you don't add much boost, use an intercooler, find good gas and don't beat on it the engine should last a while and will make big power. However, packing boost into an engine with high compression pistons and stock head gaskets is asking for trouble. So, you can add the blower and roll the dice, rebuild the motor AND add the blower for power and reliability at a relatively high cost, or swap in a crate motor. No matter what you do, extra speed takes extra power, and extra power costs BIG $$$.
    Dan

redi4fun
    Back in Sep I offered to marine blueprint one and change cam, lifters, head gaskets,freeze plugs, exhaust valves etc. for $2,700.00 and exchange of removed parts.
    Back in June I offered: (With June pricing)
    I am able to sell the Deluxe ZZ-572 for the same price as Scoggins Dickey 12,900.00 or long block only for 12,000.00
    Disassemble and increase all of the necessary clearances, add inconel exhaust valves, severe duty intake valves, Isky's latest greatest hydraulic roller lifters. Isky premium Cryo treated valve springs set up at 150# on the seat. Crane 741 cam (or cam of choice). Marine head gaskets. Oil pump prep. Moly ring set, $1,900.00 plus shipping once (me to you) and exchange of removed parts.
    Yes my EFI links up with the ignition but does not run sequential. Throttle response is a good thing if you are always on and off the throttle. (street cars) Boats run a fairly constant RPM so the advantage to sequential is negligible. The additional cost is not worth it. i use a bank to bank system.
    If someone insists on sequential I will use one with the difference in computer cost only.
    This is what infomaniac had to say of the ZZ572 motor. I would consider him a very reliable source.

shadow
    My boat has the 496 Mag HO, and I have read many threads regarding supercharging, adding the Raylar kit, etc, and have seen costs from 6k all the way up to 10k for these kits and installations.
    I do not recall any thread regarding the Chevy crate racing motors, and a boating application. I was wondering why some of the re-power, or add power guys have not looked into these motors? The particular motor below is 620 hp and 675 lbs torque at a little over 12k.
    Any information regarding these motors would be greatly appreciated.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/.../146engine.jpg
    RAYLAR for the 496.!!!
    Should actual water test results to share within a couple days.
    They have done thier home work,no stone has been left unturned with these guys.Ray and Larry are assembling my engine as we speak.It's amazing the knowledge they have between the two of them.

mike37
    RAYLAR for the 496.!!!
    Should actual water test results to share within a couple days.
    They have done thier home work,no stone has been left unturned with these guys.Ray and Larry are assembling my engine as we speak.It's amazing the knowledge they have between the two of them.
    hey focker you cant get more HP before me dammit

shadow
    hey focker you cant get more HP before me dammit
    I already got it! Water tested today,Before 24 pitch 2 passengers,fully loaded with fuel and stereo equip.15 seconds to plane.
    After with 26 pitch 4 passengers,fully loaded with fuel and stereo equip
    7 seconds to plane
    26 pitch on the rev limiter @ 75mph GPS.
    80 mph should be no problem with the right prop.
    I

mike37
    I already got it! Water tested today,Before 24 pitch 2 passengers,fully loaded with fuel and stereo equip.15 seconds to plane.
    After with 26 pitch 4 passengers,fully loaded with fuel and stereo equip
    7 seconds to plane
    26 pitch on the rev limiter @ 75mph GPS.
    80 mph should be no problem with the right prop.
    I
    WOW what was you top speed before
    and what package did you get did you go all the way and get new pistons and the biggest cam they have

shadow
    WOW what was you top speed before
    and what package did you get did you go all the way and get new pistons and the biggest cam they have
    Top speed before was probablly 70mph on a good day.Never used GPS.
    We put new cam,heads,roller rockers,cylinder heads,intake and a few tricks to the exhaust.
    If you were to use thier headers,throttle body,i belive it would put it around 550hp.
    This thing idles so smooth just under 800rpm,and you can just feel the tourqe
    when throttling.The feeling of the 496 is gone,feels like a whole new engine.

mike37
    Top speed before was probablly 70mph on a good day.Never used GPS.
    We put new cam,heads,roller rockers,cylinder heads,intake and a few tricks to the exhaust.
    If you were to use thier headers,throttle body,i belive it would put it around 550hp.
    This thing idles so smooth just under 800rpm,and you can just feel the tourqe
    when throttling.The feeling of the 496 is gone,feels like a whole new engine.
    OK what kind out $$$$$ for the kit and install

shadow
    OK what kind out $$$$$ for the kit and install
    $$$ US DOLLARS $$$.Contact Aaron at Absolute Marine or Ray at Raylar.
    As far as install if you are mechaniclly inclined you can do it yourself.If you were closer i'd help you.If you want someone to do it for you bring it out here and have Aaron do the install for you.
    Ray and Larry showed us some tricks to get the most out of this set up.
    Are you going to the boat show? Make sure you go by and talk to Ray & Larry.
    If you think about it Raylar just made the Hp525 obsolete.Don't be suprised if merc is all over Raylar like a cheap suit trying to either get them to stop or buy thier heads.Why spend the $$$$$ for the upgrade now when you can get a 496 and add the Raylar setup from the gate and save a ton of money.
    Blue paint???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast