Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 455 olds problem

VAspectra
    I have a rather odd problem with my engine I'm hoping someone can help with. I rebuilt my motor last year but now the two cylinders closest to the distributor, one on each side, are running very rich. The other six were running a little lean at the same time. I've tried tweaking the jets, played with the timing but those rear two plugs are still running rich. any thoughts? When I rebuilt the motor I milled the heads .025 and the Torker manifold to match. Everything seemed to go together ok and the engine runs very smooth and strong but it still has this one issue. I was not running a thermostate but have since reinstalled that. thanks.

n8dawg
    What about your plug wires? Did you replace those? Cap/rotor?

Floored
    what carb are you using? Rich as in dark grey or black or wet? I use a 2" open spacer with my 750VC holley and nothing like that. Have you done a compression test on those 2 cylinders?

Perhaps you might have the rear float level set too high, causing fuel to drip, during idle or maybe even underway or on plane. Another thing to consider, is the fuel getting past the needle and seat, while the engine is not running. Just some things to check Good luck
    Sleek

VAspectra
    What about your plug wires? Did you replace those? Cap/rotor?
    I replaced the plug wires as well as the cap. I have breakerless ignition.

VAspectra
    what carb are you using? Rich as in dark grey or black or wet? I use a 2" open spacer with my 750VC holley and nothing like that. Have you done a compression test on those 2 cylinders?
    I'm running a 750 cfm edelbrock. The plugs are black but not wet. The rest of the plugs are a light tan. I have done a compression check and they are right with the other cylinders.

boater012
    Check your spark! Check your carb to see if it's dripping by taking off the air cleaner and looking down the throat and look to see if it's dripping fuel while idling. If it is! Rebuild the carburetor. If the spark is weak it can cause the same thing as well. I have seen a distributor bearing go out and cause the same thing. Take the dist. cap off and try to move the rotor back and forth. If it moves more than about 3-4 thousands you need to replace the bearing! When the rotor rotates it will pull away on the low side of the swing and you will lose spark energy on two to three cylinders. I've seen people replace the whole engine and install the old distributor into the new engine and have the same problem. Check the compression and see what it is. It should be 180 or so on all 8 cylinders if it's in great shape. It should run fine even as low as 120 on all. But the compression should be within 10-15% across the board. If you Want to do the compression test and post the results here, I will give you my opinion! Go to work!!!

VAspectra
    thanks for the recommendations. I'll give it a shot over the weekend. My first thought was spark but the distributor is pretty new but there was a problem with it when we first put the engine back together. I had to replace the module to get it to run. Prior to that it had been terrific.

Glencoe MiniDay
    What are you running for an intake setup?
    I have heard that with a single tunnel ram that the center cylinders will run a little on the lean side as for the two rear cylinders will run rich from fuel reversion on the plenum floor.

VAspectra
    I'm running a Edelbrock Torker with a 750 cfm carb.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast