Thread: Pump/engine alignment

VD CRUISER
    Hope its ok for a V-drive guy to post a question on here.
    I've got a friend thats putting a new Aggressor pump in a early 70s Day Cruiser. Should the engine be aligned perfectly with the pump input shaft or should there be some angle in the U-joints?

slotrunner
    YOU NEED TO HAVE ANGLE ON THE U-JOINT FOR IT TO WORK RIGHT. A COUPLE DEGREES IS ALL YOU NEED. PAT

Apollo
    I pulled a engine out of my inlaws boat and he had one of his employees put it back in.
    There was two sets of bolt holes. So he used the top two. The boat vibrated so bad it shook the headers apart. So when I got to the shop I dropped the engine back down. I maybe wrong but I think the u-joints should be in line or pretty close. Thats the way they are on this boat.

SouthernComfort
    When I pulled my engine and reinstalled it the U-Joints were lined up. No abnormal virbaration at all. Shaft runs true.
    Bobt

froggystyle
    The rule with U-joints is that if one has an angle, the other has to have a reciprocal angle, meaning that the crank and output shaft need to be parallel. The driveline can be at a small angle, and if the angles match, you will cancel harmonic distortion and vibration. If you only angle one of the sides, then the u-joints are trying to throw each other apart all the time.
    Squirts up!

HBjet
    So is it ok to have a U-joint perfectly straight? Having the crank and pump shaft parallel and inline with each other?
    HBjet

flat broke
    Originally posted by HBjet:
    So is it ok to have a U-joint perfectly straight? Having the crank and pump shaft parallel and inline with each other?
    HBjet
    Sure is,
    I chased this problem for a while on a lifted S10 a couple of years ago. Because the driveshaft was fitted with a CV joint instead of a regular universal joint at the rear, it saw failure much faster as a result of misalignment. After the second CV replacement in 30k miles, I had a new driveshaft built so that it only had a universal. When I did this I could see the alignment problem that the dual universal joints in the CV Joint had masked. I chaned the angle of the rear end and never had a problem again. Bottom line, straight is good, misaligned is bad.
    Chris www.liquidaddiction.net (http://www.liquidaddiction.net)