Thread: bypass regulator Q's

quiet riot
    I'm thinkin of switching to a bypass regulator and ditch the holley dud-head I'm using cause I can't keep my fuel pressure above 5 when getting on it (it drops to 3 at wot, with 7.5 at idle.) I'm running a holley electric blue pump and haven't had any problems with it in the past, it would keep the pressure above 5 with the old motor but not now. Its got a dual feed (2 piece hard line that feeds the 4150) with a gauge directly across from the first outlet that goes to the primary bowl. The second line extends out past that and goes to the secondary bowl.
    Do you think the bypass will make enough difference to keep the pressure up to 5 - 7?
    I've read where it should be put after the carb and can understand the Idea, but would it work alright if I put the regulator right on the dual feed line where the gauge is now? This would put the regulator at the point that splits off to the carb but not necessarily after it.
    Or should I just break down and buy the fuel log or similar that is set up for the bypass regulator?
    I've also seen some set-ups that return the fuel from the bypass to just before the pump and not the tank. Does this work ok because I switch between 2 tanks (110 for n2o use and 100 for n/a) and it would be a lot of extra plumbing to switch the return to 2 seperate tanks?
    Whats some thoughts on this? The fuel system has all 3/8 npt and 3/8 hose and I'm hoping to keep that and be able to feed this single carb setup without stepping up to a real $$ pump and bigger lines.
    The n2o has its own fuel system so its outta the equation for this but I need to get the carb fuel setup done.
    Thanks,
    jd

Carnivalride
    Quiet riot,
    If I were you I would disassemble the bottom end of your Holley blue pump and inspect it first. They have 4 steel vanes in a steel center section and they tend to rust if not stored correctly. If 1 or 2 of the vanes stick it reduces the pumps flow and pressure dramatically. After you get it cleaned up try it again and see how it does.
    Good Luck!

quiet riot
    Carni,
    I checked the pump and it was all good. Been thru them before so that and the filters were checked out first. With the new motor I had to jet up 10 sizes (plan on going to a bigger carb also) to get any color to the plugs and thats when the fuel pressure dropping off started happening. It always used to drop down for a second when hammering the throttle, butt would recover to 5+ psi (typical of a cheap dead head reg) but now it just stays down around 3 at wot.
    Its just the cheap reg that came with the pump and if I have to replace it I figured might as well try the above if you guys think it will work ok.
    jd

victorfb
    i had very similar problems with a mallory. the pump was fine but couldnt get a stable preasure. i switched the regulator to an Aeromotive 13207 by pass and installed it at the carb. it has 2 outlets and each one went to a fuel bowl. the closer the regulator is to the carb the quiker and better the regulater reads the preasure. the return went back to the tanks. set it once and it works awsome. i made my own mount for the regulater that installs off the carb base and between the bowls, but Aeromotive sells a nice mount and is reletivly inexpensive. its a clean simple set up and it works. talk to mike @ Rex marine (Rexone on the boards) he is a good guy to deal with.