Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For those of you who think it never rains in Arizona

Jordy
    This is a popular summer spot between Prescott and Flagstaff, NW of Phoenix.
    This is what it looks like pretty much any weekend in the summer:
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/23srbefore.JPG
    This is the same spot last week after all the rain that hit us:
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/23srafter.JPG

Her454
    If I remember correctly that is Slide Rock? Used to go there quite often as a kid. Makes me miss my mother as she loved that place.
    Thanks for the pics Jordy.

Havasu_Dreamin
    Great picture Jordy! Really shows the power that can be unleashed after storms like these.

Jordy
    Yep, that is Slide Rock. Good eye T. I didn't take the pics, just passing them on.

spectras only
    Looks just like North Vancouver now ,hehe

BarryMac
    Jordy, Does the water make to one of the local lakes or does it go to the ocean???

Jordy
    Jordy, Does the water make to one of the local lakes or does it go to the ocean???
    In a round about sort of way, here is the short version. That is Oak Creek, which runs down and hooks up with the Verde River, still North of Phoenix, which in turn flows into Horseshoe Lake, then Bartlett Lake, both of which don't take alot of rain to go from 50% full to 90% full. They were filling up so fast, that they started letting water out of the dams. Water is still going down the Verde River, hooks up with the Salt River and is held back behind Granite Reef Diversion Dam, which is below the lowest lake in the Salt River Lake chain. You can't boat or anything on it. Whatever isn't diverted into canals for irrigation and drinking water is then sent down the normally dry Salt River bed, which then hooks up with the Gila River, and I believe most of the water soaks into the ground before it hits Mexico.
    This series of storms has the normally dry Salt River running for the first time in 11 years or so. At the peak flow it was moving 18,000 CFS.
    And that concludes your history lesson for the day.

Her454
    Yep, that is Slide Rock. Good eye T.
    I would know that place anywhere! I used to have so much fun there and my parents almost bought a house right up the road in Camp Verde but bought in Parker instead on the river. I took my daughter there about 7 years ago and it was a tourist trap! Not like it used to be......but its still beautiful.

RiverOtter
    Holy Cow! :jawdrop:

dirty old man
    thats SEDONA isn't it?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast