Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please Read... I Need Your Help!!!!

n8dawg
    I got pulled over by the cops back in November. I was coming out of Lake Casitas in Ojai, Ca. When a CHP pulled me over for a load check. Load check?
    I have my boat tied down with one tie down over the pump and connected to the trailer. My boat doesn't have any eyes to tie it to so i figured that was my best option. Is this wrong? Is this unsafe? I don't know, so if you could help me out.
    If any of you have pictures with your boat tied up like mine I would really like it if you could email me pictures of it.
    jetboaters@sbcglobal.net

JetBoatRich
    Sounds like BS to me, so you recieved a ticket for unsafe load :supp:
    HalletDave does the same thing with his boat

Floored
    I have a U shaped ring bolted to each side through the transom that I strap to a corresponding ring on trailer to hold rear of boat from moving see pics under floored in image section

Cas
    Yep, a load check. I was at a gas station filling up when a CHP mentioned that to me. We were BSing about the boat when it came up, said that the front and rear of the boat needed to be tied down to hold it to the trailer as securing as possible. Also, the bow eye needs to be tied off to the trailer especially if the trailer has a lever arm that mounts to the trailer rear of the bow eye.
    He also told me that if anything is in the boat, (bbq's, skiis, floaties, tents, etc.) the load should covered and tied down.
    I would think strapping over the pump and to the trailer would be ok though?
    did you get a ticket of some sort?
    Oh yea, a friend of mine was pulled over on the freeway and told to go into the truck weigh station to check his total weight. He was pulling a 28' trailer with his 1t Dodge duely with camper. He was told the max total weight was 13,500lbs for a person with the standard Class C driver's license, over that and you would need another classification. He came in at 13,800 and had to remove some of the weight before he could leave or he needed to get the license. Since he was close to home, he unhooked the trailer, went home unloaded hte truck and went back.
    He called a CHP office and talked to 2 different CHP's, got 3 different answers. He called me to tell me about the whole thing and suggested I get the motorhome and boat weighed.

JetBoatRich
    Yep, a load check. I was at a gas station filling up when a CHP mentioned that to me. We were BSing about the boat when it came up, said that the front and rear of the boat needed to be tied down to hold it to the trailer as securing as possible. Also, the bow eye needs to be tied off to the trailer especially if the trailer has a lever arm that mounts to the trailer rear of the bow eye.
    He also told me that if anything is in the boat, (bbq's, skiis, floaties, tents, etc.) the load should covered and tied down.
    I would think strapping over the pump and to the trailer would be ok though?
    did you get a ticket of some sort?
    Oh yea, a friend of mine was pulled over on the freeway and told to go into the truck weigh station to check his total weight. He was pulling a 28' trailer with his 1t Dodge duely with camper. He was told the max total weight was 13,500lbs for a person with the standard Class C driver's license, over that and you would need another classification. He came in at 13,800 and had to remove some of the weight before he could leave or he needed to get the license. Since he was close to home, he unhooked the trailer, went home unloaded hte truck and went back.
    He called a CHP office and talked to 2 different CHP's, got 3 different answers. He called me to tell me about the whole thing and suggested I get the motorhome and boat weighed.
    Both situations I have never heard before like to hear from a couple of the LE's on these

n8dawg
    I did not get a ticket for load check. That was the officer's reason for pulling me over. I did however get a ticket for driving on a suspended licesnce and now I'm pretty much ****ed if I can't prove that he pulled me over for no reason.
    Here's how I have it tied off in the back.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
    I think we tow the same way. But, excuse my ignorance, what were you doing driving without a license? That means you also had no insurance on your vehicle, because insurance companies only cover licensed drivers. No sympathy here.

Brooski
    Gonna be hard to fight the reasoning behind pulling you over. All he has to say is that it appeared the boat was not secured correctly. I cant think of any way you could cast doubt on that one. I will ask about that one tomorrow. I need the answer myself. Hey Angie, long time no Boones Farm....

thesunking
    You might want to check out http://www.rv.net/ (http://) Look for a section called "Tow Vehicles". Post your Q's and you just might get a answer from LE or maybe even a retiree.
    Work your license issues out before that turns into a can of worms. BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!

sleekvino
    i tie mine down that way and never been hassled.the cop was having a bad day and took it out on you. :hammerhea

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast