Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JetHot Header Coating

Ok guys what is the good, bad and ugly of these coatings (does the coating really last do you see any performance gains, ect.)?
    Is the JetHot Marine the way to go or just plan Sterling?
    Whats the cost to coat O/T headers?
    Any other companies that do a good job that are local?
    Thanks,
    Jerry

Fogged Gullwing
    Jerry,
    I like the way chrome headers look but they change blue and etc. Also the chrome will burn the livin shit out of you. I've got a guy in camarillo that makes a real pretty coating that last's. He did mine and there real good looking. Call Allan at extreem heat coatings 805-388-9983 and tell him that BK from the hot boat board sent you he'll give you a good deal.
    Later BK

pebo
    I had my V-Drive cases done at Car Craft in Riverside and they turned out great. I checked into doing the Headers and was told it would be 250 to do them. They have to strip the chrome first then coat them.
    Car Craft (951) 781-4480 cotact is Bob

I've got a set of each. One chromed and one jethotted.
    A couple nice things about the jethotted. They do run a bit cooler than chrome (although they'll still burn the hell outa ya, of course). Secondly, you can run em without water if you choose to (although personally, I got no performance gains from doing so.........Just a lot louder). They won't blue, however they will take on a frosted appearance from the flange to about 6"- 8" out. This will happen eventually whether you run em with, or without water. The coating will scratch if something sharp comes in contact with em. I've got a few scratches on mine.
    I ran my jethotted pipes last year, towards the end of the season. This year I put my chromies back on. My main purpose in running the jethots was to see if there were any gains due to running without water. There weren't.
    I can't speak for any other companies as jethot has done all my coatings (intake manifold and headers). I use em because they're right here in Phoenix and I can drop the stuff off and pick it up a day or two later. They've done a good job for me both times, and I'd use em again if I needed something ceramic coated.

tahitijet
    i second what squirtcha said. i was having trouble getting water to one side of mine and they frosted.. the other side looks good.. and they still run hot so they will burn.. they seem to cool off real quick but i'm not sure if they all do that or if the hot coating is helping that.
    besides that they don't blue there easy to clean and look good.

dtr352
    Any pics. I am trying to imagine how it would look in a boat surounded by polished pieces. Is jethot the same as ceramic coating.

Any pics. I am trying to imagine how it would look in a boat surounded by polished pieces. Is jethot the same as ceramic coating.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...or_002-med.jpg
    this is really the only good pic of the headers with the ceramic coating done by embee coatings (guarantee'd for life)
    i like them this way but IMO the chrome look is way cleaner!
    todd

HoffmanEagleMarine
    78Southwind, Just my two cents........We like the ceramic coating. It's kind of cheap ($240-280) and stays looking pretty good, I guess... It does scratch easy, watch your zipper on your jacket while wrenching. It polishes out a bit and you can run dry with little to no damage. The set on the floor stand is fresh and just coated. No run time yet and the set in the boat are 3 years old. They stay looking alright....I've got a manual water valve at the drivers seat, so I have run these dry when I forgot to turn it on. As far as dissipating heat, I don't know. They still give a nice tatoo on the arm... :cry: ...We like them because they stay mostly one color. The chrome always gets blued and dark. If your buying new ones, Bassett will coat them or send bare so you can coat.....Doug :220v:

moneysucker
    It was $305 and I believe that included return shipping. They do frost. I saw no performance gains. I never ran mine with water I doubt I would see any gain though. Here are pix of mine. I am installing a new set of chromies. It looks like I cheaped out and primered my headers or something when I could have had them re chromed for the same price. The one on the yellow boat is a brand new jet hot job.

tahitijet
    here is a few pics of mine in the polished alumn finish.
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...010043-med.JPG
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...240212-med.JPG
    The right side doesn't quite look as good now due to short running without water on that side it's frosty looking now...
    Also on my boat i ran the upholsterd sides almsot all the way to the back to cover the gas tanks.. On the right side when it ran dry so much heat was present in the area that the vinyl was getting hot and started smelling like marshmellows. So if there is much of differance in header temp i'd have to think it isn't much over chrome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast