Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which is better a Whipple R-980 or a PSI

BigBlockOldsJet
    Which is better a Whipple R-980 or a PSI supercharger?
    What are the differences between them?

sgdiv7
    Whipple don't make that blower anymore. Call Rodger at PSI and ask him, he told me that his blower was more efficient. He love to talk so watch out, lol. his # is 480-820-6511
    btw I pick mine up later this week, can't wait its like christmas all over again, lol
    Bill

Whipple Charged
    We had to versions of the 980, R and A. Both were far superior to the PSI until NHRA put a freeze on supercharger modifications. PSI kept making changes and over time while we followed the rules, with new casing designs, new discharge port and new rotor combo, it produced more boost. The PSI had to turn 125 over vs. ours that ran at 60 over. The higher rpm levels increase parasatic losses and temperature. This wasn't as evident in short rpm burst such as drag racing with methanol fuel. At 3000hp/9000rpm/65lbs of boost, the PSI made approx. 100hp more but took 7lbs of boost more to do it. The A980 made 200lbs of torque more though. We made changes and made another 200hp but it was not made legal by NHRA.
    The earlier PSI's were in no comparison to the massive 980. Test showed over a 300hp difference and 400lbs of torque. This is at 50+lbs of boost so lower boost levels will not have as a dramatic effect but at 1300hp, it will be worth approx. 50 hp and more torque at the same boost levels. This is what you would be getting for the marine version, otherwise the SC is over $10,000.
    Anything you purchase for marine will not be that supercharger and I guarantee that the 980 is leaps and bounds better than the "marine" version of the PSI. Even our quad 3.3L has proven to be more efficient and produce more power. Ask Sterling and Pfaff.
    The 980 will be coming back sometime this year with an aluminum casing vs. the magnesium casing. There are quite a few of the used ones around. Racecrafters and the Sorcerer boat runs them, they make nearly 2000hp on 104 octane.
    Thanks,
    Dustin

Robbie Racer
    Dustin, were those PSI's or your 980's on the Sterling motors that Fountain was running when he set the most recent V-bottom speed record? According to the article those motors made 1500 hp each.

Rock-it man
    Dustin, were those PSI's or your 980's on the Sterling motors that Fountain was running when he set the most recent V-bottom speed record? According to the article those motors made 1500 hp each.
    OK !!!! Keith what are you thinking ?????????

Robbie Racer
    I was just curious. I figured that no expense was spared on motors to set that record but was kind of surprised that they didn't make more than 1500 hp with Big Chief heads, dry sump, screw type supercharger, etc. But, I think they were 557 cu. in. so 2.69 hp per cu. in. still isn't too shabby.

sgdiv7
    I am looking at the artical in hot boat and the artical lists it as a psi supercharger.

superdave013
    what is the difference between a marine or non marine PSI??

HP350SC
    what is the difference between a marine or non marine PSI??
    I was wondering the same thing. Can't seem to get any decent results searching for PSI s/c when google searching?

jamessampica
    First of all there is no web site for PSI.
    Second of all there is no such thing as a marine PSI.There is high speed rotor's and cast iron rotor's.The cases are alittle different but that's it.It takes less HP to run a PSI than any other blower that i have used.If you think this is not so then call ROGER at PSI {480-820-6511}and i'm sure he will be more than happy enough to give you fact's and figure's on them.This is only my opion{SP} since i've race with them and now use them at the river and on the lakes in AZ.LATER!!!!!!!
    JIM S

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast