Thread: Wireless transmitters

kevnmcd
    I am trying to figure out what the best way would be to get all the songs I have on my computer to play on my stereo. Direct wire is not possible, I need to go wireless. I was looking at some FM transmitters, but some have told me that it might be difficult because there are so many radio station here in So Cal to find a good channel to transmit on. My computer is in one room of the house and my stereo is in another...approx. 35' apart. Any suggestions from anyone? Thanks in advance.

riverbound
    I dont know of any wireless solutions that will sound good. I would buy some sort of MP3 player (ipod) and download all your songs then hook the player into the back of your home stereo.

One Particular Harbor
    Here's one possible route. It will involve setting up a wireless network in your home and will probably cost you around $300 to set up, but more and more companies are beginning to offer solutions for routing the mp3's on your PC to your home audio system.
    The first thing you would need to do is set up a home wireless network. Typically, you will need a wireless hub/router and I would go with one that is 802.11g compliant (faster than the old "b" standard). Next, you need to find one of any number of wireless "music" or "audio" devices that are available. Most of the major network hardware manufacturers offer something like this (linksys, netgear, US Robotics)...go to amazon.com and search under "wireless music" or "wireless audio" and you should get several hits. Most of them come with a remote that allows you to access and navigate your play list from whatever room your audio system is in.
    Quality should be directly equivalent to the quality of the mp3's you are downloading. Essentially, all you are doing is routing the files over a wireless Ethernet network directly to your sound system. Should be much better (no interference) than a FM-modulated system. Also, you should be able to easily span the 35' distance between your PC and the home audio system.
    I have had a wireless network running in my home for over two years now. I can come home and access my cable modem connection for the Internet on my laptop from anywhere in the house. My kids' computer and the wife's computer are also able to wirelessly share the Internet connection. Don't be intimidated by the wireless hardware, it's actually fairly easy to set up and if you stick with the same brand of router and wireless music device, they may connect "out of the box" without your having to change a setting.
    If you get overwhelmed, just respond here or PM me and I can give you more details.
    Good luck,
    OPH

Evo22
    Netgear make's a jukebox that is a wireless 802.11b/g you install a card in your computer and then the jukebox will recieve the signal wireless and you wire the jukebox into your reciever......you can do it different ways too but I do it this way for alot of my customers to keep it simple

kevnmcd
    Netgear make's a jukebox that is a wireless 802.11b/g you install a card in your computer and then the jukebox will recieve the signal wireless and you wire the jukebox into your reciever......you can do it different ways too but I do it this way for alot of my customers to keep it simple
    EVO22 - Great product. Just did a little research on it and that is what I was looking for. Thanks.
    OPH - Thanks for your help, as well.

Evo22
    cool .......no problem if you need help setting it up let me know :rollside:

ROZ
    Here's another... I like it because it supports i-tunes(Thinking IPOD).....
    http://www.rokulabs.com/

kevnmcd
    Here's another... I like it because it supports i-tunes(Thinking IPOD).....
    http://www.rokulabs.com/
    Another good option...although, a little more pricey. :smile:

ROZ
    Another good option...although, a little more pricey. :smile:
    Says who
    I'm looking for a way to broadcast different songs off my computer from different rooms in the house at the same time. Possibly using a tv/monitor in each location to access the computer program...
    Yamaha has the music cast that will serve up to 5 clients, but I sure as hell don't want to pay this much money.... http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/MusicCast/index.htm