Thread: Barret Robbins

ratso
    I thought it was just the Raider Fans that were nuckin' futs... :jawdrop:

Ziggy
    I'm going out on a limb here but I'm guessing he never really got over his disorders/problems as reported. To bad.

ratso
    It seems by the article that he was a little off...what a shame.

Blacksheep
    It's obvious the man still needs some help...Hope he gets soon before something worse happens to him!!

SHOTKALLIN
    That guy diserves what ever his stupid ass gets. Who goes to T.J. for an all nighter the day before the bigest game of his life? If he fought the police and got the short end of the stick then too efin bad.

Dawn Patrol
    That guy diserves what ever his stupid ass gets. Who goes to T.J. for an all nighter the day before the bigest game of his life?
    I thought only Raider Fan did that. LOL
    I hope he gets the help he NEEDS.

Mrs Luvnlife
    I thought only Raider Fan did that. LOL
    I hope he gets the help he NEEDS.
    I heard he was in critical condition.....may not make it?? Haven't heard anything today????

Dawn Patrol
    Ripped from Slam Sports.
    Former teammates support Robbins
    By JANIE MCCAULEY2
    ALAMEDA, Calif. (AP) - When Barret Robbins disappeared before the Super Bowl two years ago, it enraged some of his teammates.
    Once they learned that the talented center was a recovering alcoholic with bipolar disorder who had contemplated suicide, that anger quickly turned to sadness. Most supported him as he worked his way back as a football player and person.
    Cut by the Oakland Raiders before training camp last July, the news that Robbins had been shot by police in an altercation in Miami Beach on Saturday night is yet another discouraging development in this troubled man's story.
    Robbins, arrested last month in San Francisco for hitting a security guard at a night club, appears to be on a rapid decline despite his efforts to get his life in order.
    "It's sad," said Raiders linebacker Travian Smith, reached in Texas on Monday and told of the shooting for the first time. "It was good to see somebody like that who had a bad thing happen get a second chance with the team. It's always good to see somebody get a second chance in life. I guess he couldn't get well enough. All in all, I thought he was a pretty cool person as far as work goes."
    Robbins, 31, remained in critical but stable condition Monday in a Miami hospital, according to his agent, Drew Pittman. Robbins was arrested and is expected to be charged with battery on a police officer and trespassing.
    The former Pro Bowl player, believed to weigh nearly 400 pounds, sustained multiple gunshot wounds in the torso after police found him inside the administrative office of a building that houses a nightclub, a gym and a jewellery store.
    Police said Robbins and detective Mike Muley struggled over Muley's gun before the detective shot Robbins. Muley suffered minor head injuries and was treated and released from a hospital.
    Some of Robbins' teammates are already coming to his defence. Running back Tyrone Wheatley wants to learn more details about what happened.
    "You really never know what the exact particulars are," Wheatley said Monday, noting Robbins' other problems shouldn't be part of what took place Saturday. "This is an isolated incident. The previous things don't have anything to do with it. That's what turns my stomach. We don't know that the cop in Miami did the right procedures. You never know."
    Robbins, who began 2003 training camp on the physically unable to perform list, missed two meetings and a walkthrough practice before the 2003 Super Bowl and didn't play in the game. Bill Callahan, then the Raiders coach, said Robbins was incoherent and didn't know where he was when he showed up Saturday night before the game.
    Callahan deactivated him, and Adam Treu started in his place. The Raiders lost 48-21 to Tampa Bay.
    The following season, Robbins showed a new dedication to the Raiders and his teammates following several months of difficulty.
    After spending 31 days in the Betty Ford Center, he was determined to repair his image and save his career - and get his teammates to accept him again. He worked to lose around 50 pounds and eventually landed back in the starting lineup during the 2003-04 season.
    But he was released in training camp last summer after failing a physical. Robbins has a troublesome right knee injury that has never completely healed from surgery and keeps him from being his former self on the field.
    "He did a good job. He lost a lot of weight and worked his way back into football shape and did what he had to do," Wheatley said. "It was unfortunate he had an injury and had to have a severe surgery, and that's what cut that short."

Phat Daddy
    I heard he was in critical condition.....may not make it?? Haven't heard anything today????
    I was listening to radio sports station earlier, he's in very serious condition. He took 2 bullets to the chest... ouch :squiggle: