Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SRP or Probe Pistons?

Carnivalride
    I'm looking at freshening up my engine I'll need another set of pistons. I've seen SRPs and know of quite a few that have used them they seem to be pretty good for the money however, according to the literature Probes are considerably lighter than the SRPs 572gms vs 634gms for a 4.310" bore with a 1.395" wrist pin height.
    Does anybody have any experience with Probes? Feed back please.
    Thanks,
    Loren

LakesOnly
    They are made by the same manufacturer and they seem to be of fine quality.
    LO

The owner of Probe is related to the owner of Ross pistons. Mark and Chris make nice stuff and have done their homework when it comes to making pistons. I would not hesitate to run a Probe piston.
    Chris

superdave013
    I ran the crap out of Ross pistons. Back then Probe was just getting rolling with their stud girdles. Anyway they do make nice stuff.
    I know you looked at SRP but if you are looking at weight why not look at the REAL JE piston. Yes, they are made at the same place in HB but are not the same piston. I can't remember all the details off the top but when I got the nickle tour of JE John Noonan was explaining the difference.

superdave013
    They are made by the same manufacturer and they seem to be of fine quality.
    LO
    So you are sayin that JE makes Probes pistons?

Carnivalride
    I ran the crap out of Ross pistons. Back then Probe was just getting rolling with their stud girdles. Anyway they do make nice stuff.
    I know you looked at SRP but if you are looking at weight why not look at the REAL JE piston. Yes, they are made at the same place in HB but are not the same piston. I can't remember all the details off the top but when I got the nickle tour of JE John Noonan was explaining the difference.
    This is supposed to be a budget freshen up and my wife has the checkbook. LOL :frown: :frown: :frown:
    I'm trying to keep the weight down to minimize crank flex at high rpm, this is mainly a lake rod that will only be bracket raced once in a while but I want all the bang I can get out of my bucks. SRP and Probe are similarly priced but JE jumps up a little much for me on this project.
    Thanks for the input keep it coming.
    Loren

LakesOnly
    So you are sayin that JE makes Probes pistons?
    oops, brainfart; thanks for catchin' it SD.
    I was thinking of JE and SRP
    LO

InKahntrol
    I've never run Probe pistons, but I had pop-up SRPs in my last flatty motor and it ran like a champ for the four seasons I owned the boat. Last I heard it was still runnin' strong...

Mr.&Mrs.Budlight
    Probes are fine for a budget rebuild. Go for it!!! Budlight

All of which are owened by Wiesco................
    No, they are owned by a venture capital company. . .Down River Investments or something like that. They also purchased Carrillo.
    Chris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast