Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Twin Turbos?

Nubbs
    I want to put a twin turbo setup on my boat. However, my engine is covered. Can I run non water jacketed turbos under my engine cover? Is there some sort of coast guard regulation about this?
    Thanks
    Nubbs

Jordy
    Only if you don't like your boat and would like to see it burned to the water line. Turbos put out all kinds of heat. Under a big load, the exhaust side can get glowing red hot. Spend the extra coin for the water jacketed.

Unchained
    Heavy Hitter made some add on water jackets for the turbine housings.
    Here's a picture he posted from another thread,
    http://home.earthlink.net/~wstoss/si...s/cheetah5.jpg
    I hope you don't mind me borrowing your picture Wally.

HeavyHitter
    If you're going to run T-4's I'd go with the water jacketed turbine housings. waste gates are integral so the exhuast plumbing is much easier. Any larger turbo is tough to find water jacketed housings. Garrett can't sell the marine diesel OEM units so you have to go the Cat or Cummins. That puts a really big price tag on those plus they're massive since weight is of no concern on a diesel. I made these shells out of copper since I o-ringed the turbine housing to ensure sealing to the exhaust pipe. They work fine with my engine cover but I've got each turbo in a scoop so they can dump heat when the water is not flowing.
    Mark, no problem borrowing the picture.

dirty old man
    you absolutely, positively have to have water jacketed turbo housings. try GT Performance in Montclair or Carson Brummet in Pasadena

obnoxious001
    I have a complete NEW Gentry turbo kit for sale, with water jacketed housings with built in waste gates. I tried to upload photos since HB seems to have moved everything around, but would be happy to email photos if interested. Email me at agt001@aol.com

DogHouse
    you absolutely, positively have to have water jacketed turbo housings. try GT Performance in Montclair or Carson Brummet in Pasadena
    Didn't read that post above yours, eh?

bigkatboat
    I make SS water jacket covers all the time. They mount to the exhaust flange area and cover 1/2 of the bearing housing. $185.00 each, polished $220.00 each.

Unchained
    I make SS water jacket covers all the time. They mount to the exhaust flange area and cover 1/2 of the bearing housing. $185.00 each, polished $220.00 each.
    Hey Bigkat,
    Long time no see. E mail me a picture of those water jacketed turbine housing covers and I'll post it up here for you.
    mark55@direcway.com

bigkatboat
    "Chained" I'll get some pix. The photos are making my head spin, might be the angle. Where are the flame arresters? It's all neat s*#t, but let's try to be safe and legal. I think the water jacketed housings are neat, but they really rob power, keeping the heat in the exhaust and not letting it escape out to the motor compartment, is the way to go. A tightly wrapped 'space blanket', along with a water jacketed cover, will be more compatable with A/R changes and thermal efficiency. The water jacketed housings are nice, but I think they were developed for long distance racing and not for "lake racers".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast