Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gps runs after bottom blueprinting

O.K..............Snuck up to the lake today. I have lotsa stuff to do around the house, so it was a no nonsense trip just to get some numbers. I made a half dozen passes.
    First I'll say that my setup is exactly the same as it was prior to the blueprinting. Changing it around may, or may not help the numbers. Only time and some experimentation will tell.
    Got it on the water and warmed it up some. My oil pressure was still a little high for the first pass or two, so it was probably a bit thick and not at optimum running temp, but here's the result anyway.
    It ran a consistent 79-80 mph without the nitrous. This betters my previous no nitrous speed by 2.3 mph. It's not the 6-8 mph I had hoped for, but I'm still pretty happy with it.
    I had installed a nitrous bottle heater while everything was apart. In the past I couldn't use the nitrous unless the ambient temps were 85 degrees or better. Unfortunately I hadn't filled the bottle and I knew there was only a run or two left in it (probably 3 or 4 lbs in the bottle). The heater was doing it's thing, but it didn't have the "big hit" like it does when it's a full bottle. I ran 85.6 mph which is about the same as what it used to run on nitrous before blueprinting. On the third pass I ran the bottle dry so I know it could do much better if full.
    Typically the 150 shot would get me an additional 7-8 mph when all conditions are optimum. This being the case I should be able to run 87 mph (or so) on the juice this summer.
    It's not the 90 mph I'd hoped for, but all in all.........I'm still happy with the results.
    There were some baby rollers where I was running it, and I noticed a little porpoise when running at wot and trimmed for speed. You could trim it out by lowering the diverter, but the speed would fall off some (of course). It didn't do it in the calm areas, only where the rollers were.
    I've always played around with my setup stuff a lot, and noticed prior to the bottom work it would porpoise a bit if I had too much wedge up on the droop, and too much up angle on the plate. I may be able to drop this stuff down and get rid of the bow bounce.
    I also installed a new automatic bilge pump when it was torn apart. Man that little dude is way cool. Worked like a champ and I'm gonna be loving it this summer (especially on the over night trips where it stays on the water).
    Bottom line......................was it worth the money and effort. A resounding YES! For a measley $150 and some labor, for sure. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Ken F
    Dan,
    Glad to know it turned out positive for you! lol
    Wouldn't it have sucked to have done all that work and had it do worse???
    I wish I had been able to do the Omega in the manor you did with no other changes. That's really the way to do it. I'm betting that since your bottom is a little different, your set up will need a little tweeking too don't you?
    The 2.3 kind of surprises me though, I really expected a lititle more, and I know you did too!
    Anyway congrats on a job well done!
    Ken

Taylorman
    Dan, i assume you had your boats setup tweaked before you did the bottom. Like Ken said, im sure you will have to do some more tweaking to the setup with the new bottom. Im sure you will find a few more mph with some tweaking. Wouldn't you think? If it were me, id do some tweaking to the setup before i would make any other changes to see how much you can squeeze out of the new bottom. Good luck.

Dan, i assume you had your boats setup tweaked before you did the bottom. Like Ken said, im sure you will have to do some more tweaking to the setup with the new bottom. Im sure you will find a few more mph with some tweaking. Wouldn't you think? If it were me, id do some tweaking to the setup before i would make any other changes to see how much you can squeeze out of the new bottom. Good luck.
    Yeah, I agree with you and Ken. Especially since I developed that little porpoise deal. If the water was flat, it did just fine. Hit a couple little rollers and get it going, and you'd have to adjust the trim to settle it down.
    I always play with setup stuff, it's kinda my thing. Typical "Can't leave well enough alone" mentality. Might experiment with some different loaders and possibly a tapered backcut shoe too.
    Other than setup stuff, I'm done with the Kachina. If I can get it to do 90 mph that's probably all the faster I'd want to run this hull anyway. If I wanna go faster than that, I'll start shopping for a tunnelhull.

flat broke
    Dan,
    Just a little thought for you here... If you had previous numbers at given RPM levels compared to after the bottom work, you might notice that the bottom work isn't a linear improvement. I.E. the faster you go, the better your returns. Not saying thats going to happen, but don't give up on that 90 just yet. If you have some numbers from before at say 3k,3500, 4k etc and could plot those against new numbers even without the Nos, you would be able to graph the trend for the boat even without the NOS I bet you find 90 well before June at the rate you're going. BTW, that back cut shoe is something you should probably dabble with. I just cut mine last week along with a new loader and different plate setting, so we'll see how the boat does tomorrow.
    Chris

I knew I shoulda written those numbers down. I had em from last year, but didn't commit em to memory.
    I'm running a backcut shoe now, but wanted to try a tapered backcut and maybe some blocker type loaders also. I'll definitely keep after it Chris. It's my nature to mess with things.
    If you don't mind.............let me know how your hardware changes work out for ya?
    Thanks
    Dan

bottom feeder
    Dan nice job from start to end. Thanks for the write up as you went i am sure there a lot of jeters that have put the information you have provided to good use. Besides what other improvements netted the same gain for a 150 bones? Knowing how much you use the adjustments I am sure you will see the 90'S
    Best regards

Mr.&Mrs.Budlight
    Don't give up the ship!!! Now while you are tuning the hull setup and tweaking it. You know the bottom is puss, so you don't have to worry about it anymore!!!! Mine worked better by closing off an 1inch of the opening to limit the water with little diff on bottom end. Just have a diff shoe made 1 at a time as you can afford it. Good luck. Budlight :idea:

Some Kind Of Monster
    Thanks for sharing everything with us Dan. Can't wait to see you run this summer!

Hallett19
    I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
    Want to do mine ?
    It was a cool project to watch come together, thanks for all the great documentation !

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast