Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spectra 20, Howard 21, etc pump setup

flat broke
    A while back in the anals of HB.net there was a guy with a blown howard 21 cruiser (the older deck) that ran by the name of Custom Cruiser or somethin like that. I did a search and couldn't find the screen name, so I'm guessing he stoped posting or something. Anyhow, the reason I mention him is because he had something like 800hp and was running over 80 with his day cruiser.
    There are a couple of us here with basically the same hull and it would be cool to swap setup info to see whats shakin. I'll kick it off with my info and then hopefully Proppa and any other lurkers that are hangin out can chime in with theirs and hopefully we'll all be able to improve something as a result.
    76 Spectra 20
    Unknown weight
    Berk A impeller with MPD detail
    pump in stock location
    G bowl with no detail
    short berk droop
    2* back cut shoe
    Rideplate set 5* up,
    Open center loader
    max RPM 55-5600 (tach was checked against MSD digital test box and is around 100RPM off between 5500 and 6200 RPM)
    71.5mph
    I'm gonna post HP, but this is not for the purpose of people speculating dyno vs corrected etc. The reason I'm going to use corrected is because it should be more standard and thus will allow a better overall guage when comparing multiple setups.
    Max HP as in the boat 809hp at 6500rpm.
    Based off the dyno, I'm putting out between 737 and 750hp at 55-5600RPM
    I curious to see 2 areas in particular, but I still want to get as much info on these type boats as I can. What are folks runnin for droops and what impeller make/cut are they spinning to what RPM?
    Who's next?
    Chris

flat broke
    Thanks Sagner,
    I'm sure Bill will post up additional information at some point. I know 75 Spectra also had a 20 running around 80, so I'll have to shoot him a PM and see whats up.
    Chris

flats, see how nice that 20 sits on the trailer in the above link?

flat broke
    Sure did.
    It's going to take a little cutting and welding to get mine to that point
    Bill scored a deal all the way around on that boat. Clean hull (just need to sand off those pin stripes) sitting on a nice trailer. IMHO, all Spectra 20 jets should be setup on trailers like that..
    Chris

SPECTRABRENT
    Bill's Spectra is one of the older Spectra 20's that I have come across and yes, Bill did get a good deal on that boat.
    In early days of Spectra (before Foto Grafix) they used other trailer MFG's (Competitive, Road Runner etc.). I think Bills trailer is a Competitive.
    My Spectra 20 is sitting on a Competitive (between the fenders like Bills), but it was sold out of Sundown Marine, thats why it does not have a Foto Grafix.
    Chris,
    This is a good post, I hope others can chime in even if they dont have a Spectra/Howard. I would like to know what REAL MPH they are getting out of thier (day cruiser) hull/motor/jet
    Brent

Mines a 79 and sits on a Mr. Ed trailer. Whoever was in charge of the jigs at fotographics should have paid closer attention to the way it was done at competetive!

flat broke
    I think the issue with the fotographics trailers is that they were the "in house" trailer co for Burbank Marine. So they just jigged up one trailer for the V drive and jet, and started banging them out as fast as they could during the heyday. Brent can correct me on this if I messed up any of it.
    It wont be too hard to fix mine. As Old Rigger had suggested, I'll just jack the boat up off the trailer and start cutting. I'll have to remove a crossmember in front that isn't concaved to match the hull, then weld in a different unit. After the clearance is handled for the drop, just cut all the bunk mounts down by x amount and re-weld em back on. Before the boat can go down, the fenders will have to be moved outward, which there is room to do with the current wheels. If the wheels offset prohibits enough outward movement, we'll just swap wheels and call it a day.
    Crap if I can type out the plan in five minutes, it should only take me a couple months to do the work The bigger trick is going to be an order of operations for all the things I want to do so that there aren't any wasted weekends... Emily is gonna hate me.
    Chris

Jake W2
    Have any of you guys tried the Snoot on these cruzers they seem to help heavy boats.
    Jake

flat broke
    Have any of you guys tried the Snoot on these cruzers they seem to help heavy boats.
    Jake
    Funny you post that up Jake... I just got a reply to my pm to 75Spectra (had that really clean white with green trim blown spectra that ran right at 80). He was runnin the AMT long straight snoot in his setup. I think that the boat needs more leverage because of it's weight. A setback would be one way to get there, the snoot another.
    Ideally I'd like to be able to go out to the lake and swap my short droop for a long droop, make some runs, then swap in a snoot and see what happens. I'll buy whatever works, thats not an issue. I just can't see fit to buy both the long droop (I've heard mixed things about these with my hull) and the long snoot. Did duane have some kind of trial program available?
    Chris

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast