Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stringer repair Quick Fix?????

Greaser
    A buddy of mine just bought a 72 Southwind over the weekend, and the stringer under the drivers seat is a little rotten. The guy we bought it from said their is something you could inject into it to fill up the space under the fiberglass. Does anyone know what the hell this guy is talking about?

BrendellaJet
    I dont think i would want a quick fix on my stringer, especially in that area.

sanger rat
    Git Rot is what you are thinking of.

Grind it, fill it, glass it! (only if it is not a large area!)

moneysucker
    Inject it and it may eject your friend. Glass work is glass work. It is probably easier to do like todd said than try injecting anything. Besides it is under the seat so it doesn't have to be perfect.

FoMoCo
    Um, I would not do a quick fix in that area. on my Kachina I did a quick fix on the stringer in that same extact area about 3 years ago. The boat started to flex really bad last summer and ended up cracking the bottom of the boat on the opposite side of the stringer. Know instead of just replacing the stringer, I am repairing a crack and having to flip the boat and staighten the bottom :notam: Its not that bad of a job to kust replace the stringer.

moneysucker
    You could use full length rail kit too and that would keep you from having to replace the whole thing. I would opt for the aluminum Vs fiberglass any day. Do a decent repair job and add the rails. I reccomend full length rail kits anyways.

berk
    if there is evidence of rot then it is too late. the stringer will continue to degenerate, much like many of us on this forum. its called rot spore and moisture is its maker. only replacement can undue its evil.

Greaser
    Thanks for the advice guys. We are already replacing the floor, infact, we were gonna put the new floor in in a couple hours. Would it be possible to cut out the bad spot, and glass in a new piece of wood with stinger braces, or would that be a complete waste of time?

BrendellaJet
    Do it right the first time so you dont have to do it again. If you are nearly there now, why half ass it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast