Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Toyota Parts "Hook-Up"

THATJEFFGUY
    Does anyone have a hookup on Toyota parts ? My son has a 1996 Toyota Camry, and it won't pass smog..it needs a catalytic converter. He is being told by a couple different repair shops that this is a dealer item only and very expensive. Can anyone help on this ? Thanks !!

mirvin
    HEy JEff, a good buddy of mine is the parts manager for Torrance Toyota. I can hook you up if you wanna come out here.
    Lemme know.
    mirvin :wink:

THATJEFFGUY
    I don't know what they are quoting you but I have a guy here in San Marcos that wanted 250 to replace the Cat on my 94 Chevy 1500.
    Seemed like a good deal. He is strictly a muffler / exhaust guy.
    Forensic
    They are quoting like $500..seems kinda high to me for a cat !

RiverDave
    A new "factory" catalytic converter?
    Just an idea, go down to a junk yard or a ecology or soemthing.. It's 3 screws on the front and two screws on the back if memory serves..
    Probably cost ya 15 bucks, and maybe 20 minutes of your time?
    RD

HCS
    You can get aftermarket cats at muffler shops. We do it all the time here.
    I just called the shop down the street and they said 250.00 or 300.00 for a 96 Toyota Camary.
    The cars you can not get aftermarket for are the obd II systems on the newer vehicles.

RiverDave
    Most ricers have bolt on catalytic converters between the exhaust manifold and the exhaust.. That's why your able to bolt on a header (note not "s") and exhaust..
    I'll call a couple speed shops I know of tomorrow and see if anybody has a converter laying around.. Lots of guys (myself included in the past) run test pipes on cars for years..
    RD

mirvin
    Hey Dave, what's a test pipe? And would there be any chronic involved with that??
    mirvin :hammerhea

HCS
    Test pipes are great until smog time.
    You can get them used even though the wrecking yards tell you they cant sell them. You just have to use the right lingo. I could pick you up a used one and ship it to ya.

RiverDave
    Test pipes are great until smog time.
    You can get them used even though the wrecking yards tell you they cant sell them. You just have to use the right lingo. I could pick you up a used one and ship it to ya.
    LOL... Smog time. Kinda makes you wonder how all those turbo'd civics running around Southern california do it every other year. Do you really think they pull the turbo? or in most cases pull the whole setup every other year? Hell no they don't.. You got a hundred bucks? I'll get that freakin camry smogged as it sits.. LOL
    RD

HCS
    LOL... Smog time. Kinda makes you wonder how all those turbo'd civics running around Southern california do it every other year. Do you really think they pull the turbo? or in most cases pull the whole setup every other year? Hell no they don't.. You got a hundred bucks? I'll get that freakin camry smogged as it sits.. LOL
    RD
    We get em our shop. That's exactly what some guys do. They pull the stuff off and put it back on. What a hassle. With the dyno test is a little more difficult.
    You have to put a different car on the dyno and punch in your info. Not that Iv'e ever seen it done.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast