Thread: EXPERIENCE!!

Old Guy
    Some of us know that you can buy a new nozzle that will come with a nifty plastic insert that will enable you to ?????????????
    The big nozzle is supposed to provide a really good hole shot.
    The smaller nozzle is supposed to provide more top end.
    Anybody got any real numbers?
    Let's take a real boat. It weighs 1200# with full fuel and 2 people. It's got a shallow "vee" bottom. About 500 hp.
    OK add a Place diverter.
    Now...what can we expect to see as we make changes to the nozzle dia.?
    No newbies need respond.
    Always wanted to know.
    Runin outa time,
    old

racingrascal
    Originally posted by Old Guy:
    Some of us know that you can buy a new nozzle that will come with a nifty plastic insert that will enable you to ?????????????
    The big nozzle is supposed to provide a really good hole shot.
    The smaller nozzle is supposed to provide more top end.
    Anybody got any real numbers?
    Let's take a real boat. It weighs 1200# with full fuel and 2 people. It's got a shallow "vee" bottom. About 500 hp.
    OK add a Place diverter.
    Now...what can we expect to see as we make changes to the nozzle dia.?
    No newbies need respond.
    Always wanted to know.
    Runin outa time,
    old
    About two months ago in the "JetTech" section of Hot Boat they addresed a question a member on here sent a letter in about (rivercrazy). He was wanting to do some up grades and more speed. I don't have the mag. in front of me but I think it was like 2-3 mph, but again I am going off of memory. Check the letter out.

LVjetboy
    I'm thinking 3 mph for a nozzle change is dream'n. But wait...is a BRF the same thing as a newbie? I could be in the wrong thread here. Carry on...

Unchained
    Old Guy, I asked the same questions to Frank Place.
    He told me if you have 3.125" ID leave it alone.

Old Guy
    Originally posted by Unchained:
    Old Guy, I asked the same questions to Frank Place.
    He told me if you have 3.125" ID leave it alone.
    Thanks Unchained
    I've been trying to figure out why anyone would go to the expense of putting a sleeve in a nozzle. So far, nothing exciting. Sometimes, don't you wonder just how much "real" science there is in the design of this stuff.

jet496
    Place Diverter told me those inserts are for high HP racing boats, guys looking for every edge possible & it wouldn't make any difference to me with my little ole 496HO.

wsm9808
    I was looking through some old HB mags a few months ago, and Jac Sea had answered a simular question about nozzle size in the jet tech coloum. His response was rather long and technical (i miss his tech coloum), but what I took from it was that a 3inch or smaller nozzle would not increase mph untill you where in a very high horse power, well over 100 mph application.

fat rat
    The only major increase I have ever seen with my boats was to add more Horse Power to them. Biggest gain I ever made over stock was to go from a 454/330 to a 502/502....12 mph gain. I dont believe theres anything out there thats going to give you any significant increase over HP. Mi 2 pesso's!

Old Guy
    Aw shucks guys, I thought it was gonna be a new magical gizzmo that would make my boat go faster. Maybe somebody's boat, I think not my boat. Oh well.
    Thanks
    old