Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bilge Pump Runs... A Lot

Shallow Minded
    I've noticed from day one on my boat (26 ft Wellcraft Nova) that it seems to take on a healthy amount of water. I s'pose my bilge pump will kick on every 15 minutes or so if I'm just floating. I figure I've got some leaks around the outdrive (Bravo 1), but have never been able to pinpoint anything.
    How can I track this down? What should I look for? Thanks guys.
    SM

Havasu Hangin'
    Have you tried tightening the bolts?

dmontzsta
    Empty all the water out of the boat first. Then go take it to your local launch ramp and back the boat into the water, get ready to start looking for drips/leaks.

oldbuck40
    hey shallow minded,,check your boots and make sure there are no holes in them. i have a chriss craft that almost sunk do to the fact that i never thought of looking at the boots,,my pump was running just like yours and i know its hard to see back down in there,,but take your boat put it on the trailer,put the plug in, make sure the boat is hooked up to your tow vehicle b/4 you do this, then fill the pump area with the water hose,,back the boat so its sittin down hill so you wont have to put so much water in the engine compartment,,, the idea of this is if water will run in the boat,,water will run out!! oh yea turn off the bilge pump so you will have more time to look around the outdrive..... you will most likely find your leak! hope this helps!

with the boat on the trailer, filler up with the garden hose and crawl underneath and look for leaks.

Shallow Minded
    I was thinking I might have a few leaks in the boots, too. This water-in/water-out test should be a good start. I appreciate the advice guys.
    SM

oldbuck40
    no prob sm just be sure your boat is hooked up to your truck b/4 you do this,,it doesnt take much water in the rear of the boat to make the tounge of the trailer raise up in the air!!! we dont want you getting crushed under your boat..... its happened to me b/4 :jawdrop:

Shallow Minded
    no prob sm just be sure your boat is hooked up to your truck b/4 you do this,,it doesnt take much water in the rear of the boat to make the tounge of the trailer raise up in the air!!! we dont want you getting crushed under your boat..... its happened to me b/4 :jawdrop:
    Boat: 1 Old Buck: 0
    What happened?

oldbuck40
    well it wasnt my 26ft chriss craft thank god! it was a 14 ft lone star that had the rivits leaking real bad,,,so i brought it to work and had to unhook it from the truck at the shop,,well when i finaly got to work on it i didnt think to hook it back to the truck,,,,duhhhhh and i had about 6 inches of water in it well i was on a creeper under the boat marking all the leaks and a guy that works for me came up to the boat and just put his hand on the back of the boat and leaned over to see what i was doing under the boat,,,welll that was all it took to set the boat off balance and the rear of the boat came crashing down,,it started coming down slow at first which gave me time to slide out from under it,,,but it crushed both tail lights and bent one of the roller brackets!!!! needless to say lesson learned the hard way..... alot of boats have very little tounge weight so it takes all the pressure off the tow vehicle,and with a v8 right above your head think about it!!!!!

Shallow Minded
    Mental Note: Leave boat hooked up to truck... Ha, that prolly had the ol' heartrate up. Thanks again for the ideas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast