Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can a pump destroy a bottom end?

Flip
    Last year I had an Energizer kit put on my YJ by the guys over at MPD. Now, first and foremost, I totally trust Jack's work. It's just that ever since then, I've been going through bottom ends. I'm pretty sure it's not the pump's fault but I'm getting ready to put another 455 (oil mods done, details in another thread) together and I'm a bit paranoid. :220v:

flat broke
    Last year I had an Energizer kit put on my YJ by the guys over at MPD. Now, first and foremost, I totally trust Jack's work. It's just that ever since then, I've been going through bottom ends. I'm pretty sure it's not the pump's fault but I'm getting ready to put another 455 (oil mods done, details in another thread) together and I'm a bit paranoid. :220v:
    In answer to your question, it is possible for incorrect engine installation to put the pump in a situation where it could damage the thrust bearing on the crankshaft of the engine. Sometimes the impeller will want to walk forward in the housing. If you have your driveline bottomed out on the input shaft of the pump and the impeller/shaft walks forward just a little bit it could put enough pressure on the thrust bearing which would tend to put some debris into the pan.
    What is probably more likely is that you are now spinning your 455 at higher RPMs and maybe for longer periods of time than before the energizer kit? Or possibly that you had a rod or main go south once (pretty common on 455s) and it did some damage to a part that hasn't been properly repaired. Now that part is continuing to eat stuff up. I had a problem with a concentricity with one of my main journals in my bbc caused a couple rebuilds before the problem was properly diagnosed. You might want to take a bore gauge to your mains and rods to see if there is something going on in the motor.
    Just the same, I'd also take the boat down to MPD after you get the new mill in and have him check your driveline out to make sure you're not in a bind or something. A lot of times shops do work on one specific part of a boat and never see the rest of the components or how they are bolted together. Then when something goes blam, they get blamed. It could be something simple where if MPD sees the entire installation, it will stick out like a sore thumb.
    Good luck with it, and rest assured, you'r in the best hands in the business as far as the pump is concerned.
    Chris

DelawareDave
    I'm no expert, but unless the pump shaft is loading (pushing) the crankshaft, I don't see where it should cause any problems. Make sure your driveline has some endplay, and the thrust bearing in the pump is tight.
    Edit: FB you snuck your answer in while my old lady was bending my ear! :cry:

I'm no expert, but unless the pump shaft is loading (pushing) the crankshaft, I don't see where it should cause any problems. Make sure your driveline has some endplay, and the thrust bearing in the pump is tight.
    Edit: FB you snuck your answer in while my old lady was bending my ear! :cry:
    I bought mine in this condition unknowingly. It gouged the crank and it had to be repaired. Thrust bearing was shot in the pump too.

Moneypitt
    Pump centerline to engine centerline.........If these angle are way off it could put a side load on the crank and take out the mains, which feed the rods. Just another possibility............MP

502 JET
    What went wrong in your engines?Were your engines balanced/blueprinted with the proper clearences?Was the engine assembled cleanly?Do you have an excessive ammount of vibration?If you have a detionation problem you will pound out the bearings.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Check the driveline. If its too far on the pump then it can walk foward like chris said. If you actually check the crankshaft endplay you will notice that the crank does move foward and back just a touch.

Some Kind Of Monster
    Pump centerline to engine centerline.........If these angle are way off it could put a side load on the crank and take out the mains, which feed the rods. Just another possibility............MP
    So what is the correct angle? Is it zero degrees?

Jordy
    So what is the correct angle? Is it zero degrees?
    I believe you want something like a 1* -2* variation so you load the yokes in the driveline and allow the needle bearings in the U-joints to wear evenly. But I just have an outboard, so I don't know anything.

SmokinLowriderSS
    From what I've seen elsewhere on the board, Jordy is right on the 1-2 degree angle being optimal to let the u-joint roller bearings actually do their job.
    The pump itself SHOULDN'T do any harm, if everything is together properly. Any end load on the crank, from either a too-tight location of the block or a worn thrust bearing will end-load the crank, which won't do anything good.
    455's have their oiling issues, and any engine has more concerns when running at elevated RPM and extended time load compared to conditions found in a car. If it is built and clearanced properly, there should be no problems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast