Thread: Shifter Cable Adjustments????

Raisin Wake
    I'm installing a new throttle and shifter on my boat. I think I'm going to have to adjust the shifter cable slightly. How can I make small adjustments to change the amount to cable exposed at the control end?
    After reading that, I don't think I know what I was asking!!!!!! Maybe I'll try and post some pictures.....

Raisin Wake
    Here are some pics....
    #1818 shows the end of the shifter cable where I want to make the adjustment. I need a little less cable coming out of the cable sheath.
    #1817 show the other end of the shifter cable, mounted to the engine. I would think that this is where the adjustment would be made.
    Any thoughts?????? Thanks!!!!!!!

Raisin Wake
    bump.... Anybody??????

h2oski2fast
    Assuming the existing controls were adjusted correctly, all of the adjustments should be done at the controls. The adjustment on the motor is noted in the attached picture. Don't adjust the cable that is going to the drive. If you feel it needs adjustment it probably needs to be replaced.
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/attach...achmentid=9593

Raisin Wake
    OK, I can see how the throttle cable could be adjusted by just changing the control arm on the back of the throttle. The shifter, however, has set positions on the the shifter. So would I adjust the cable where you have it marked in the picture? Also, I'm not even going to touch the cable to the outdrive.....

BADBLOWN572
    Dennis is correct. What you have to do is to find neutral in the drive and find neutral on the shifter. Set the shifter hook up at the center of the threads on the cable and attach it to the shifter. Where the red circle is on the picture above, that barrel will spin. Do not even disconnect the bottom shifter linkage. It is NOT adjustable. It is set by mercury for the exact location it needs.
    to start you need to find neutral. After that, have someone go back and spin the prop while you try foreward and reverse. Usually, it is right on when you find neutral, but sometimes it does need slight adjustments.