Thread: Dumb oiling question

Hey guys,
    I've been buttoning up our motor and whipped out my shiny new preoiler tool. I fired up my drill and ran it for a bit to see what my oil pressure is. On the drill I have 60psi at a mechanical gauge that I have temporarily mounted above the filter.
    My question is that I expected to see oil coming out of the rocker arms but at best I just see a dribble coming out of the #2 exhaust and #5 and #7 intake and exhaust. All the others don't show any oil. I rotated the motor over slowly while I ran the drill and didn't see any changes.
    I pulled one pushrod out just to see and it had oil in it but not enough to come out at the rocker.
    I'd appreciate any thoughts you'd be willing to share.......Thanks

Mr.&Mrs.Budlight
    Only turn over the motor about 1/4 turn then keep the luber going then a 1/4 turn again. You probably won't get oil out of everyone. Sometimes the engine assembly lube clogs it alittle, but don't worry. Budlight

Thanks Budlight.
    I couldn't stand it so I kept after it. The pressure stayed at a constant 60psi and I got oil out of all but 3 of the rockers.
    The rockers that were the first to get oil seemed to flow better as time went by. I'm a bit curious as to how much oil are you supposed to see coming out of the rockers when you are running the pump this way? I'm getting a constant drool but nothing more.
    Thanks again........John

Fiat48
    It's enough. Run it. If it bugs you..pull a valve cover with it running and look.

Mr.&Mrs.Budlight
    The lifters have to be going up and down to cycle the oil. Kinda like a pump. Go ahead start it without the valve cover, it will probably squirt on the side of the boat!!!! Budlight

victorfb
    there are little clips that deflect the oil from squirting all over the place that you just clip onto the rockers. they will let you know if oil is coming through and still keep the oil on the rocker. just dont get the aluminum ones as they dont hold for shit. the steel ones work great and you can adjust the lifters the old fashioned way, (by ear). that is if you want.