Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: LICENSING BOAT DRIVERS

RUN2RIVER
    Does anyone else feel that liscenses should be mandated on all bodies of water? I feel that a boater should know how to work their machine and that at minimum they should pass a written test if not a water test. I think that this would eliminate a lot of the idiots on the lake. Ie. rental boat users, jetskis, etc...

rivercrazy
    I couldn't disagree with you more. We Don't need more governmental involvement in our daily lives. We are losing more of our precious freedom's everyday. Just my .02cents

pleasantcat
    by all means..... YES. i do agree with the other guy not wanting to give up freedom, but what about the idiots out there whom have no clue as to how to run on the water. lake tics ( jet skis) i feel are the worse. you get rental people out there who dont know crap on a 55 mph missle. i personaly watched to bimbos jumping my wake. they ended up hitting head on and we ended up saving both of them.. thats why i feel the way i do but im not the lawmaker so......

spectras only
    It's in the works already ,like it or not! There was a thread about this issue way back,don't remember the date.

RUN2RIVER
    The reason why I feel that there should be mandatory liscensing is because idiot boaters endanger the lives of everyone else. I get so angry when an idiot is right on my tail or if have a skiier and they fall down, the idiot barely misses them. It is not just jet skis or rental boats. It is that a lot of manufacturers are turning out boats to people who could barely control a Bayliner much less a 100mph machine. Plus if a liscense is issued, there can be something to take away. THE FREEDOM TO USE THE WATER. Be an idiot and you don't get to play anymore. Go to time out! I am also a firm believer that drinking/driving of boats do not mix at all. I would fully support decisions to revoke boating liscenses even the first time you get caught with a DUI on the water.
    [This message has been edited by RUN2RIVER (edited March 15, 2002).]

grog
    Drivers licenses don't keep idiots off the road... or from killing themselves or others. I don't think it's a license issue as much as an idiot problem.
    Damn idiots!
    My .02.

Blown Sleek
    I am with Grog I have lost my license more times than I need to express! I have never hurt anyone or anything! I also never quit driving! If we got rid of all the idiots and people who have no boat driving tallent I am sure I could set up a slolom course and eaven a ski jump in the Channel and no one would get in my way. Sorry to many years of watching stupid people do stupid things. Money seems to buy ignorance these days.Would be cool if Dave of D.C.B. simply gave a little driving lesson with those Bad ass boats. Really.

RUN2RIVER
    I think that social responsibility goes a long way. I do believe that everyone with a boat should be taken to the lake with a person who KNOWS how to drive the particular boat they are buying. I mean if you kick down 30-400k on a boat there is enough profit there to pay someone to go to the lake for at least one 8 hour day. Maybe if boat builders did that instead of saying ok here is how you shift and here is your gas, the idiots would turn more into incompetants for a while instead of complete and total idiots. Eventually they will learn, but they will at least be pointed in the right direction. Ok go play, have fun!

MrHavasuCat
    When I took delivery of all 3 DCB'S I have owned they went over trim settings, throttling ect.. while on the water driving the boat. so they do kind of give a lesson when you take delivery. I am sure if you were newer to performance boats most manufacterers would spend more time on the the water test with the customer.

pleasantcat
    bill over at the boat brokers was very to the point on telling as well as showing me how to drive my boat. but then again i wasnt a slughead either. i told him that it was my first cat and wasnt all that behind the wheel. so bill made sure to show me some do's & donts... my other purchase went very much the same.. so it boils down to idiots will be idiots...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast