Thread: Oklahoma water and land questions

sandstorm
    My wife and myself live and work in Las vegas we are both project managers for 2 big contractors here. I just turned 31 and my wife is going to be the big 30 in march. We have a 6 and a 9 yr old girls and we love to wakeboard and boat. We have a caliber 1 23ft that we just bought and have a 89 commander jet for sale as we speak. My wifes family live in poteau oklahoma which is about 35 miles from fort smith ak. Is this area a nice place? We are saving to cash out a country home in ok in the next 5 years, we want to by 10 acres and build a nice home. We figure to build a nice 4 bdrw house ans shop wouldnt cost more than 80k plus 10k for 10 acres. Houses here in las vegas start at 280k for a 1300 ft starter track. We dont want to spend this kind of money again. A house that accondates our family is about 600k.
    We do need to know a few things about this area.
    1. climate
    2. lakes? water, wakeboarding
    3. work?
    any information would be much appricated.

ONAROLL
    Sandstorm, Poteau is a really pretty area, I'm down there four or five time a month with work, realistic boating season is is around April to October give or take 30 days, four distinct seasons, enough snow to play and look pretty but not bad, summer is hot and humid, great spring and fall, that area is very rural, not alot going on but a great place to raise kids, alot of water any direction, very pretty lakes, I think the big question is can you find work in your field, Ft Smith has about anything you could want. I live about 40 miles NW of Poteau, and I like Oklahoma (originally from SoCal) need anything let me know. Vic
    p.s. is Ruby Thomas Elementary still standing? I lived in Vegas as a kid.

sandstorm
    Vic,
    Can I call you sometime and chat?
    Mark

ONAROLL
    Mark, PM'd the number......Vic

I have some friends(brothers) whose other brother is in the process of selling out in L.V. and moving to Ok at this moment. Don't know the L.V. bros name but they said he will be looking to buy a boat as soon as he gets here. maybe 26-30 footer.

BeaverJ
    Sandstorm:
    Check out the NW corner of Arkansas,,Fayettville, Springdale, Rogers, Bentonville,,,,the area is seeing a explosion of growth,,,I have a custom cabinet shop w/ 20 +or- employees, and its all I can do to keep up...with demand,,,,I boat on Beaver Lake in our carrera deck boat,,its (the lake)about 48,000 acres,,,clean water, quiet no one bothers us,,,anyway send me a pm I will give you my number and can even send you some real estate magazines.....Later and good luck

sandstorm
    Thanks for the input.

Infomaniac
    Do not count out Tulsa.
    Take a look at a map. Tulsa is surrounded by lakes.
    Every type of boating environment you can think of. Also the city is big enough for the big city life and country life is only 10 - 15 minutes away.