Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Electricians???

TCHB
    1. It sounds like it is the lead coming into the house underground. In the wet weather the electric cable will fail and go to ground. This problem will come and go until everything is dried out. The wet ground is not the problem just exposing the failed cable.
    2. The second thing is that you have a primary breaker that is bad and needs to be replaced.
    If I had to make a guess it is the first on the list and is Edisons responsiblity.

mirvin
    1. It sounds like it is the lead coming into the house underground. In the wet weather the electric cable will fail and go to ground. This problem will come and go until everything is dried out. The wet ground is not the problem just exposing the failed cable.
    2. The second thing is that you have a primary breaker that is bad and needs to be replaced.
    If I had to make a guess it is the first on the list and is Edisons responsiblity.
    My power comes from a pole to the roof. Above ground. I too think the problem is in their line though. Can what you've described happen on above ground hookups?
    Riverdad55, I'm gonna check all my outlets asap as I have in the past found a loose connection. I believe the outlets have a ground but I'll have to check.
    Thanks again everybody!!

Sleek-Jet
    I have breakers but they're just really old. I thought it seemed like a problem at the box rather then a wiring problem. I guess I just need to get the box checked.
    How confindent should I be in what Edison is saying??? They say my box and breakers are good....
    mirvin
    Well I don't know about that, but rest assured if they checked the power to the meter and it was good (120/240 or there abouts),and all the connections at the house knob and transformer are good, it is on your side.
    The way you are describing it, the only place all those circuits will have in common is the breaker buss or the main breaker. I don't know what size of service you have, but most main disconnect/breakers are 2 110v breakers ganged together. It's not uncommon for one side to go bad. Also, the connection at the buss can get corroded and deteriorate over time.
    When it happens, do you go out and cycle the main on and off?? Does that help?? Also, does any of your 220v (if you have any) appliances work while the problem is happening???

LilHarley
    Actually ... if the cable fails and goes to ground, the cable burns up. Hopefully, not burning the customers panel and only blowing the fuse in the pad or on the pole.
    Edison's responsibility ends at the meter to your house, the line side. Everything past, the load side, is the customers. If the TM that came out and looked in your panel said it was OK, it was ... on the line side. He won't be looking much past that.
    If you are losing power to half your house and not the rest, the problem will not be past the meter, starting at your panel. It will be hard to guess without looking since the panel and house wiring sound a little old.
    Good luck.

TCHB
    If the lines are overhead now I say it is have a breaker problem.
    I just ran across the same exact problem with overhead lines and it was one of he two main breakers.
    On underground lines it is fairly common to find a main underground line cable with insulation that has broken down that will cause your problems.

Daytona19
    All edison will do is check from the transformer to the house and see if the voltage changes and if not thats all they can do. You should have 120 to 125 each leg and 240 to 250 across both hots at the meter socket. From that point it is the customers responcability and if edison is not loosing power on one leg which is unlikely they were telling the truth. If its a bad neutral it will usually dim the lights and or make them bright and even possibly damage to electrical items such as TV's , Computers & so on. They probably ran the beast of burden check to see if the neutral was bad and from what your saying that wasnt the problem. By doing that test they backfeed power from the socket to the transformer and then have two dials to watch if they move even nothing is wrong if they freak out and go opposite from one another the neutral is bad and the service wire needs replaced. Hate to say it but get it checked to be safe, may be a fire hazard.

Sleek-Jet
    If its a bad neutral it will usually dim the lights and or make them bright and even possibly damage to electrical items such as TV's , Computers & so on.
    That is when I get phone calls. It is amazing what people will put up with, until the TV goes out, then hoe lee shit, get out here now and fix this!!!!

mike37
    you got a bad plug
    the old houses loop all over and one plug in line bad and the rest go out
    or a wire is loose at one of the plugs
    go around an feel the plugs see if one is warm thats the bad one

plaster dave
    get ahold of Just Electric on here.

cola
    Anyone know a good electrician in or around the south bay area?? The electrical in my house is on the blink and Edison says their side is ok
    I need someone who can diagnose the problem.
    THanks,
    mirvin :rollside:
    Call me and we can talk about it. I don't live close but might be able to help or I need another trip to the boat show & I would swing by first.
    Mike 909 380-9066 I'll be up up till 11:30 or so.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast