Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Follow the leader ?????

BILLY.B
    Ok, I was going to post this this morning and I forgot, then Dossangers brings this very subject up to me today. Why do you suppose that it seems to be politically correct to put your water pickups on the cavitation plates. It would seem to me that it would create more drag then being in the blast plate where the water is already being churned up by the propeller causing no drag which would equate to more boat speed. Not to mention that it looks alot cleaner not having those lines coming off your plate and having two extra holes in your transom. Is this a monkey see monkey do thing trying to chase the leader?. "If it makes him win it should surely help me do the same!!!" :idea:. Julian had done alot of testing back in the day at Firebird and he said having them in the blast plate was worth 2 to 3 miles an hour over the cav pickups. This would also apply to drag boats I would think. Just asking to try and find out what the premise is :idea: .

Moneypitt
    Billy, Mike's Revenge has the little tubes cut at a 45* out the bottom. Works fine, BUT, while on the crane at Morgan City we got to see the bottom real well (and its scary) AND we got to see the bottom of Duff's PS boat,(the one he drives) his tubes were cut so short you could hardly see them, yet they were more than enough to cool the engine/v drive. I asked him about them and he said the short tubes, and I mean short, maybe 3/16ths inch at the long side, were worth 2-3 MPH...and suggested we cut ours since ours are at least 5/8ths if not 3/4 below the bottom..........MP

wsuwrhr
    When I redo the cav plates I will be adding the pickups to the blast plate.
    I like the idea for all those reasons.
    BTW, got the machine running, back in bidness.
    Brian

BILLY.B
    Billy, Mike's Revenge has the little tubes cut at a 45* out the bottom. Works fine, BUT, while on the crane at Morgan City we got to see the bottom real well (and its scary) AND we got to see the bottom of Duff's PS boat,(the one he drives) his tubes were cut so short you could hardly see them, yet they were more than enough to cool the engine/v drive. I asked him about them and he said the short tubes, and I mean short, maybe 3/16ths inch at the long side, were worth 2-3 MPH...and suggested we cut ours since ours are at least 5/8ths if not 3/4 below the bottom..........MPMine are barely hanging out the blast plate maybe 1/8" or less and I put out more then enough water with the #12 pickups.

wsuwrhr
    Billy, Mike's Revenge has the little tubes cut at a 45* out the bottom. Works fine, BUT, while on the crane at Morgan City we got to see the bottom real well (and its scary) AND we got to see the bottom of Duff's PS boat,(the one he drives) his tubes were cut so short you could hardly see them, yet they were more than enough to cool the engine/v drive. I asked him about them and he said the short tubes, and I mean short, maybe 3/16ths inch at the long side, were worth 2-3 MPH...and suggested we cut ours since ours are at least 5/8ths if not 3/4 below the bottom..........MP
    Coming from a jet boat I can tell you the weight of the boat alone in the water causes enough pressure at standstill. Taking off the waterline from the jet when it is in the water caause a nice leak.
    With the forward motion of the boat I would think you wouldnt need much to cause water to be forced into ANY opening in the bottom of the boat.
    Brian

Wildchild80
    Ok, I was going to post this this morning and I forgot, then Dossangers brings this very subject up to me today. Why do you suppose that it seems to be politically correct to put your water pickups on the cavitation plates. It would seem to me that it would create more drag then being in the blast plate where the water is already being churned up by the propeller causing no drag which would equate to more boat speed. Not to mention that it looks alot cleaner not having those lines coming off your plate and having two extra holes in your transom. Is this a monkey see monkey do thing trying to chase the leader?. "If it makes him win it should surely help me do the same!!!" :idea:. Julian had done alot of testing back in the day at Firebird and he said having them in the blast plate was worth 2 to 3 miles an hour over the cav pickups. This would also apply to drag boats I would think. Just asking to try and find out what the premise is :idea: .
    Billy, The reason we put the pick ups in the cav. plate we were able to cut them off very short maybe 1/8" at the long plate. You will get cleaner water through the engine. I have noticed in the boats I have run that we can drop 30 degrees of engine temp. just by moving the pick ups.

BILLY.B
    Billy, You will get cleaner water through the engine. What the engine doesn't like the dirty water ??? . All I know is my water pickups are really really short and the water supply is more then enough for the oil cooler/ v-drive and the engine to stay cool. I suppose for a SS engine coolness would be a concern. I would guess you could then lean on the tune up to build heat if you needed too....RIGHT!!! :idea:

wsuwrhr
    What the engine doesn't like the dirty water ??? . All I know is my water pickups are really really short and the water supply is more then enough for the oil cooler/ v-drive and the engine to stay cool. I suppose for a SS engine coolness would be a concern. I would guess you could then lean on the tune up to build heat if you needed too....RIGHT!!! :idea:
    Alcohol...
    Brian

wsuwrhr
    Sent you a PM Bling Bling
    Brian

Kindsvater Flat
    I prefer them on the back of the plate to hold me back. I just want to give the competition a chance.
    http://www.schoutenranch.com/misc/cavunder.jpg

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast