Thread: 1976 Taylor questions - New Jet Boater

SuckMyWake
    Hi everyone,
    I just bought a 1976 18' Taylor (not an SS, this one has a very low profile) with a 455 Olds, through transom exhaust. I just rebuilt the pump with new bearings, seals and wear ring. The machine work was done by Mike's Pump and Speed in Houston. It has a place diverter with a 'B' impeller. I absolutely love the boat, however, I'm disappointed with the performance. The engine is a new moderate build with forged pistons, moderate cam (unknown specs), stock heads, offenhauser intake, Holley 650 Double Pumper and points ignition with a Accel Supercoil.
    I think the 650 Holley and the points ignition are holding it back. It tops out at 53 MPH on the GPS on semi-smooth water. The engine turns 4900 RPMS. I'm new to the jet scene. Any comments?

rstover1
    Hello suckmywake your boat is probably an sj. My brother has a 21ft carlson jet with a 455 olds we were able to go to the salvadge yard and find a electronic dist for nothing then rebuilt it for about 75 bucks. This is an easy way to switch to elec ign. just compare the gear and oil pump rod to make sure itll work. were to you run your boat?

rstover1
    Hello suckmywake your boat is probably an sj. My brother has a 21ft carlson jet with a 455 olds we were able to go to the salvadge yard and find a electronic dist for nothing then rebuilt it for about 75 bucks. This is an easy way to switch to elec ign. just compare the gear and oil pump rod to make sure itll work.

SuckMyWake
    Thanks for the info. I am going to convert it to electronic, plus add an Edelbrock Torker with a 750 Double Pumper. Maybe that will wake the engine up a little bit. I run the boat in Lake Houston, Lake Conroe, and The San Jacinto River all near Houston, TX.
    Thanks,
    -Todd