Thread: Merc 2.5 and PCU

ToffenG
    Hi!
    I am sorry chasing you all, but I am confused.
    I will mount twins on my Phantom this spring. The boat will run in the upper 90ties.
    I have two options, although the latter is mount on without any rework.
    @ 2 x Merc 2.5 SS engines - modified 260 engines by Michael Werner - approx. 315 hp on the powerhead - has to be worked on.
    @ 2 x Merc 2.5 EFI engines - modified 280 engines with SVS and 20 inch midsections - is ready to drop on and drive.
    Both engines uses high performance F1 rods, rings, etc. I will spin the engines to max 7.200-7.500 rpms.
    Is it possible to use Brucato PCU on the Merc 2.5 EFI (modified 280 engines). Or do they have a custom ECU for the 280 ?
    Cheeeers, Toffen G

STV_Keith
    Sure, you can run the PCU on any of them. Just tell Tony what you have and he'll give you a decent starting point for a base-map.
    Personally, I'd go with the stock motors - leaves more available if you decide to upgrade later.
    BTW, I believe those all make peak power at 7800rpm, meaning you'll want to turn them even harder than that. I turn mine 9k, and I'm one of the more conservative O/B guys over here.

stoker2001
    i am with keith,run good synthetic oil at 32to1 and get the rpms up to 8200.factory offshore 280s are rated to 8200 even with the merc/motorola ignition.i thought brucato pcu was not compatible with the motorola stuff,but i could be wrong i am trying hard to justify a pcu for my drag motor,but at the drag races i am already capable of breakin out of the ten second index ussing merc drag box.would be fun trying it at BBSP tho :idea:

You Te
    i am with keith,run good synthetic oil at 32to1 and get the rpms up to 8200.factory offshore 280s are rated to 8200 even with the merc/motorola ignition.i thought brucato pcu was not compatible with the motorola stuff,but i could be wrong i am trying hard to justify a pcu for my drag motor,but at the drag races i am already capable of breakin out of the ten second index ussing merc drag box.would be fun trying it at BBSP tho :idea:
    I think you will need the PCU Mr. 2001 for BBSP.
    You Te

stoker2001
    hey whats up mr T,its lookin pretty good for me making it out to BBSP cause i plan on runnin the IHBA pheonix opener on 4-8 then leaving boat at rolands place.he assured me you wont be able to go over there and peek under cowl :supp: now you better figure out how to get that squatty mofo motor of yours to trim and steer befor 4-28 :jawdrop:

You Te
    hey whats up mr T,its lookin pretty good for me making it out to BBSP cause i plan on runnin the IHBA pheonix opener on 4-8 then leaving boat at rolands place.he assured me you wont be able to go over there and peek under cowl :supp: now you better figure out how to get that squatty mofo motor of yours to trim and steer befor 4-28 :jawdrop:
    I'm working on it KK.
    You Te