Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wiring fuel senders

BrendellaJet
    My fuel tanks have sending units in them. Im getting ready to buy new guages, and was wondering if there is a switch available that will allow use of both tanks with one guage, switching back and forth to check the level in each tank...Any ideas?

Taylorman
    Sure there is. My boat has a three position switch that is use for that purpose. Call Rex, they can fix you up.

HoffmanEagleMarine
    BrendellaJet, Taylorman is correct. Just run a 3 position switch and use the one guage. With both tank senders grounded, you'll have 2 wires going to the switch. One from each sender and one back from the guage.......Doug :idea:

PC Rat
    I'm getting new gauges also, but don't know what senders I have. It's a '91 Eliminator Daytona, would they likely just be GM senders?
    Brian

Jordy
    I'm getting new gauges also, but don't know what senders I have. It's a '91 Eliminator Daytona, would they likely just be GM senders?
    Brian
    You need to know the ohm range they run in, from the bottom of the tank all the way to full. That will determine what gauges you need.

BrendellaJet, Taylorman is correct. Just run a 3 position switch and use the one guage. With both tank senders grounded, you'll have 2 wires going to the switch. One from each sender and one back from the guage.......Doug :idea:
    You only need a 2 position switch with 3 poles on it, unless you want to leave the switch in the center position reading nothing.

blown428fe
    Shouldnt the tanks draw even anyway?

flat broke
    Depends on if he is planning on drawing from both, or one at a time. For the relatively low cost of a sender and the switch, you might as well be able to have an idea on what the level is like on each side.
    Chris

Shouldnt the tanks draw even anyway?
    He can also install a 6 pole switch and wire in a fuel tank switch at the same time if he wants to. This way he can switch tanks, and sending units together. Personally I always lilked to run one tank dry, passenger side first, that way I always knew how much gas I had to get back with. I didn't a have an elect switch though, just valves on the tank, but did run the toggle like we're talking above, and one gauge.
    Our boat now has a belly tank, big SOB too. Something like 45 gallons.

BrendellaJet
    I plan to draw from both. Both tanks should draw evenly, but if they dont for some reason, I want to know about it before I get stranded...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast