Thread: water cooled gearbox?

Jet City
    I have noticed some v-drive gearboxes are set-up for water cooling and some are not. My boat has no water lines running thru the Casale gearbox, is this really needed? The gearbox does get fairly warm after longer runs, but not hot enough to have raised any concerns. Should I rig some water lines or just run good gear oil (I was thinking Redline 90wt) and forget about it.

dmontzsta
    Mine pulls it in. I have been told it is not necessary and some people do not even run water and have the hook ups. I guess it is preference, I would prefer to have it.

72Hallett
    Mine is not hooked up either. Mine's a 72 and I've ran it since '93 with no problems, but has mild power.

72 Hondo
    Mine is not hooked up either. Mine's a 72 and I've ran it since '93 with no problems, but has mild power.
    Hey Jeff, where was that pictures taken at.

72Hallett
    Hey Jeff, where was that pictures taken at.
    The Topock Gorge. Guess who's boat is in the back.

superdave013
    It's not uncommon for the drag guys to cut the jackets out to fit larger gears.
    Now if you are endurance racing you might want to keep the jackets and run water to them.

Jet City
    Thanks for the feedback guys, my boat is just a lake hot-rod, we usually do more floating than hot-rodding, sounds like I'm okay to run as I have been.

Stab-n-Steer
    Thanks for the feedback guys, my boat is just a lake hot-rod, we usually do more floating than hot-rodding, sounds like I'm okay to run as I have been.
    Most likely, but I would still run the Redline "Shock Proof" gear oil or another quality synthetic. It will make a difference...
    S&S