Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2005/2004 Ktm 525sx......

IN2MX
    Anyone here own this bike? Opinions? Looking to get a bike with better ergo's...I'm 6'2....Currently riding 04 CRF450....I used to have a 97 KTM 360SX back in the day and the bike fit me much better...Help!

LBZROCKS
    Hey mike, I'm kinda looking for the same bike... What's your opinion on the ktm? like a 250..maybe a year or two old? I dont mind the whole 2-stroke thing..

IN2MX
    Hey mike, I'm kinda looking for the same bike... What's your opinion on the ktm? like a 250..maybe a year or two old? I dont mind the whole 2-stroke thing..
    The only KTM I have ever ridden is the same own that I owned previously, a 1997 KTM 360 SX 2-stroke. I loved that bike. The only real downfall when I owned it was replacement parts and fit/finish.. Parts are very pricey and most of the time you have to order them with an extended wait time. The 360 took a special short spark plug, had to wait 3 months for a spark plug! Same thing happened with fork seals, tranny side cover, etc.
    Fit / Finish......Aftermarket parts are sometimes hard to fit. I purchased a Pro circuit pipe and the pipe bracket spacing never lined up correctly and the added stress would break the pipe mounts over time. Hard to install skid plate, side plates, etc....
    They have always come with trick equipment STOCK which is cool. Brembo brakes, Magura handlebars and levers, aftermarket pipe, and innovative ideas that the other manufacturers wont take a chance on, i.e the current upside down forks were a KTM idea that the other mfg's took years to go over too.
    The 250 SX? Well, I personally think its a cool bike. GREAT POWER for a 250. In my opinion though, unless you are buying it just for the larger ergonomics of the bike, I think there are better 250's out there.
    Now a days though, any bike you buy, will be a great bike IMO. They are all faster and better handling then must of us could ever use to there limits...

Kilrtoy
    After reading what you wrote, I wouldnever buy one, cant afford that much down time.
    Are you supposed to be racing today up north....

IN2MX
    After reading what you wrote, I wouldnever buy one, cant afford that much down time.
    Are you supposed to be racing today up north....
    Yes, but I think it is better now and they are the only manufacturer that is building bikes that fit bigger guys (Not 5'5 japanese guys)
    Only did the first early morning race...Tried to sneak into the Vet race and they wouldnt let me....I'm tired now anyhow...

Kilrtoy
    Cool, Im a yamaha guy, but I dont race, nor would I , Im to damn old to hurt myself.....

THOR
    I feel your pain brother. I am 6'3", 225 lbs and have a hard time riding as well. But, after riding/racing many different brand, Honda was and still is the best. KTM is way too expensive and maintenance is horrible. Yamaha makes a great 450, but when I raced the YZF I used to blow a tire per race. Honda still make the best, and I am fastest and most comfortable riding red. Just my opinion.

NashvilleBound
    Anyone here own this bike? Opinions? Looking to get a bike with better ergo's...I'm 6'2....Currently riding 04 CRF450....I used to have a 97 KTM 360SX back in the day and the bike fit me much better...Help!
    Ok...this is good. I am looking at getting a CR450F, but if I'm 6'3" 240 am I going to be sorry?

THOR
    Ok...this is good. I am looking at getting a CR450F, but if I'm 6'3" 240 am I going to be sorry?
    No, but you have to set up your suspension for a higher ride height as well as for your weight. You'll be fine if you do that.

mojavegreen
    Ktm's have gotten better with parts and are easier to work on than the honda. If you are doing straight MX then stay with the Honda. If you are planning to do some trails then I would go with the KTM Exc. The SX models are red sticker...EXC and MXC are green. Blame that on the DMV. Any questions about what to get check out www.ktmtalk.com.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast