Thread: Need Cavitation Plate Help

sifocalpoint
    Ive asked this question once before on the boards and did not really get a straight answer i understood, but here i go.......
    assume i have just assembled the whole cavitation plate setup on the transom of my boat, ALL EXCEPT THE CONTROL ROD WHICH RUNS TO THE FRONT OF THE BOAT (1/2" ss rod)
    Now its time to cut the 1/2"ss rod to length, so i connect one end to the control arm, and the other i run to the front of the boat where my control handle is. Do you get me so far???
    Now....Do i want to have the handle all the forward (which would push the rod back) then hook the rod to the handle at that point?
    OR
    Do i want to pull the handle in the furthest position back (which would pull the rod towards the front of the boat) and hook the rod to the handle in this position?
    OR
    Do i want to leave the handle set in the middle and then hook the handle to the rod?
    (Keep in mind its a cavitation plate handle i got from rex marine, and im running a downpedal linked to the handle) Im confused

lilrick
    good question.

Moneypitt
    Are you now, or do you plan in the future, to install a down pedal??........MP

dmontzsta
    You will have to leave the handle up, since that is where it will be when you put it on the trailer.

Moneypitt
    The rod should go through the handle "eye" and extend forward towards the pedal linkage. The eye allows the rod to slide through it, then you put a 1/2 inch safety collar or two in front of the eye, which the handle (when pulled back) will push forward to establish a "locked down" attitude on the plate for normal cruising. This "Locked" position can be over ridden with the pedal to push the plate down further(pull the rod forward) when necessary for control or turning. So you want the rod cut a few inches forward of the eye in the handle assembly, leaving enough for at least 3/4 inch of thread to attatch the pedal linkage, and the safety collars. If you don't have a pedal, you can still use the same method, safety collars to position the plate without actually attaching the rod to the lower handle with threads. So you have quite a bit of leeway as to where you cut it. Then with the plate up, and the handle forward, slide the safety collars back to the eye. Any rearward movement of the handle will pull the rod and lower the plate. I would leave enough sticking through the eye to be able to install a pedal at a later date...........MP

sifocalpoint
    BUT........
    Lets say i run the 1/2" rod through the eye on the handle. Now that i understand how it works, Should i leave the handle all the way in the back position when doing the installation. In the back postion, the rod would pull forward immediately and have a broad range.
    Or Do i place the handle towards the front of the boat when installing,
    Or do i leave it positoned in the middle.
    If the handle is all the way forward the plate will be up,
    If i have the handle all the back back it will pull the plate up
    Or should i leave it in the middle

GofastRacer
    You can have the handle pretty much where you like it but if you're plates sit on the trailer, make sure that when you have the handle all the way forward there is no tention against the rod so the plates aren't binding!..

Moneypitt
    If you have the handle forward, the plate at rest,( up), and the rod attached to the arm above the plate, and the front end thru the eye. (ok so far?) Now if you put a 1/2 safety collar flush against the eye, any handle movement to the rear will pull the rod forward, and lower the plate, one "click" at a time until the desired trim is obtained. You can start this adjustment with the handle anywhere, forward, center, but NOT BACK, as you would have no travel left....... Try it all the way forward, and work from there. The only reason to start anywhere else would be for less travel in a case where the boat didn't like the plate down too far, (nosed over). Then you could limit the amount of "down" travel. Now I hope you see how easy it would be to add a pedal to the end of the shaft sticking thru the eye........MP
    PS: Art, show him a pic or 2 of your set up. I think he needs to "see it" ....Ray