Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mufflers Needed??????

BRSTQUEST
    I Have An Ultra 247 With A 496 Mag And Stock Thru-transom Exhaust. Does Anyone Have Information On If This Combination Will Pass The Sound Test????? If I Have A Full Tank Of Gas, Beer And People In The Back Seat The Tips Are Partially In The Water...this Set-up Should Pass But Don't Know If I Can Set It Up Like That For The Test..... If Mufflers Are Needed Who Is Building The Best Ones Around......any Info Would Be Great....thnx

DEMOMAN
    I have a 496 ho with thru transom exhaust and have never had a sound problem. You should be fine.

BRSTQUEST
    Have You Been Tested Since The New Restrictions Were Enforced???? I Had Four Different People At The Boat Show Give Me Four Different Answers....i Would Be Pissed If I Pulled The Boat All The Way To Havasu For Someone To Tell Me Its To Loud!!!!!!

DEMOMAN
    I have not been tested since September. Maybe someone has newer info. I wonder if you start it on the trailer right before it floats if the tips are submerged??? If so back straight out with exhaust pointed away from tester until you are far enough away.

LHC30Victory
    I tested my HO's one at a time and each of them were over the CA limit. Above water tips. Combined, they were OK by the AZ standard and BARELY OK by the Marina standard.
    I would guess that you will need mufflers.
    If ya hook up with me at Havazoo, I will probably have a sound meter with me.

Procraftkev
    If your going to boat in cali my understanding is you have to have mufflers no mater what. In az you just have to be below 88db.But cali have a 25 mile buffer zone,witch means they could come over to the az side.

THOR
    I Have An Ultra 247 With A 496 Mag And Stock Thru-transom Exhaust. Does Anyone Have Information On If This Combination Will Pass The Sound Test????? If I Have A Full Tank Of Gas, Beer And People In The Back Seat The Tips Are Partially In The Water...this Set-up Should Pass But Don't Know If I Can Set It Up Like That For The Test..... If Mufflers Are Needed Who Is Building The Best Ones Around......any Info Would Be Great....thnx
    I have the same boat but with the HO and assume that our exhausts enter at the same spot; partially under the water line. At idle we are okay, but running we are not. We are too loud. I plan on taking my chances while running. I highly doubt you and I will get hassled over the big boys with the blower motors coming out of the engine compartment.
    But, if you do put them on, take a pic for me cuz I would like to see what they look like.

purrfecttremor
    If your going to boat in cali my understanding is you have to have mufflers no mater what. In az you just have to be below 88db.But cali have a 25 mile buffer zone,witch means they could come over to the az side.
    this absolutly true you must have mufflers period!just another reason to get pulled over.i have a 496ho thru transom above water and failed the hav marina test.ive been looking at mufflers for weeks and everyone says something different.went to the boat show now im really confused!***boat did testing on verious mufflers and the results will be published in the march issue.i assume ill be more confused after that. :cry:

Havasu_Dreamin
    You are not required to have mufflers in CA IF your boat exhaust noise level is not higher than 88 dbs at idle tested 39 inches back from the transom and ~3-4 feet in the air. If, under those test conditions, you are under 88 dbs, you are legal per the CA law. The law in AZ is 86 dbs at 50 feet. If you meet the CA law, you will pass the AZ law. What the Lake Havasu Marina is doing is more restrictive than the AZ law. They test 10 feet back, instead of 50, but they allow for 88 dbs I believe.
    As far as a being on the AZ side of the lake/river, that is no excuse and does not mean you are not held accountable to the CA law. Due to the mutual aid/patrol/enforcement agreements between the 8 different federal and state agencies that patrol Lake Havasu, you can be cited for violating any states laws anywhere on the lake. There is no 25 mile buffer zone.
    Keep in mind, all of this addresses only for the idle test. There is a test for at speed that I would surmise no one will pass.

THOR
    Keep in mind, all of this addresses only for the idle test. There is a test for at speed that I would surmise no one will pass.
    This is what I am worried about. I know I pass at idle, but not running. I can see a 'family' type boat getting hassled.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast