Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat Rewiring

PC Rat
    I'm getting ready to rewire my boat and I was wondering how they are doing it on the new boats? Are most still using the terminal block with the one breaker, or has anyone used one of the newer style water resistant fuse blocks? I plan on using the automotive SXL wire with sealed heat shrink epoxy ends and maybe use the Weatherpack connectors for a quick disconnect to the engine wires.
    Brian

BrendellaJet
    weatherpak is some nice chit. Too bad the tool to crimp costs so much...
    There is a nice chart over at liquidaddiction.net...Got to search for it though... Very detailed map of the typical small pleasureboat electrical system...

flat broke
    You can find it over on ClassicBoatBeachBash.com too We're gonna be moving all the tech content over from Liquidaddiction and it will be listed under "tech info" on the CBBB site.
    Here ya go on the diagram
    http://www.classicboatbeachbash.com/...ingdiagram.jpg
    Chris

BrendellaJet
    Chris, excuse my ignorance, but can you tell me what the symbol represents on either side of the ballast resistor? Looks like a connection or maybe a splice?

flat broke
    Chris, excuse my ignorance, but can you tell me what the symbol represents on either side of the ballast resistor? Looks like a connection or maybe a splice?
    The horseshoe shaped things are just to show that one wire is for one circuit and the other is for a separate circuit, if they just crossed that would denote a split in the same circuit. If you're talking about the zigzag line, that shows resistance, and in this case, I think it actually shows the impedance at 1.35ohms. If you're talking about the boxes with Xs in them, yes I think that is to denote the deliniation of the ballast resistor as opposed to a piece of wire with said resistance.
    Hope that helps,
    Chris

likwidsukr
    Thats what I needed thanks Chris.

Boater Bill
    How about a diagram for wiring up an amp meter instead of a volt meter.

PC Rat
    Anyone have some pictures of wiring up a new boat?
    Also, why do so many boats have the breaker/terminal block mounted on the engine? Seems like an easy way to get wet. I remounted mine and tucked it up fairly high on the transom.
    On the Daytona I'm thinking of using one large main breaker near the battery, then my fuse or terminal block under the dash.
    Brian

PC Rat
    I was getting my wiring supply order ready for http://www.waytekwire.com/ and I called them about the custom striped wire. The person said that they only stripe a minimum of 1000'. Since the boat wiring colors are a standard, I figure that someone must sell smaller quantities of the common color striped wire.
    Anyone know where to get the striped wire?
    Brian

BrendellaJet
    Ive got about 80 ft in each of 10 colors. Im using it to make my harness. Let me know if you are interested...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast